Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Graphik T won’t shut off

Graphik T won’t shut off

I have a three-way lighting fixture wiring set up as follows:

Three gang box (#1) with two GT–AD switches and one RRD-H6BRL.

Three gang box (#2) with one GT-AD switch and two GT–250M switches.

So there are two three-way circuits in these two boxes between the AD and 250 switches. One circuit controls 8 25w incandescent bulbs and the other circuit controls 6 20w halogen bulbs

Sometime after installing These switches, they seem to fail and the lights cannot be turned off without pulling down the shut off tab on the bottom of the 250 switches.

If I take the cover plate off box No. 1 and pull the two AD switches out of the box while still wired and live, the system corrects itself and everything works fine. The switches are not hot and not even warm.

Return the switches into the box, tighten them up and put on the cover plate and it still works fine.

I am not sure how long it will take to fail again but this is the second time the customer has called me back to figure out why the switches are stuck on. I assume this will happen again. But hopefully somebody on this forum will have seen this problem and know why the switches are failing.

The dimming occurs in the GT-250 so the AD won't generate much, if any, heat.

The GT-AD is not compatible with the RRD-H6BRL. Not sure if it could be causing some kind of feedback to create the issue. There is a Grafik T Hybrid keypad.

I would also make sure the 3-ways are not swapped and the neutrals are separated where appropriate. Also, make sure the neutrals are connected to the GT-250s.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks Randyc,

(don't know what happened to my earlier reply, so here it is again:)

In light of the fact that it all works fine when I pull the AD switches out of the box,how would any improper wiring of the neutrals have an affect?

Honestly, I don't know. Especially when you consider that the neutrals are all connected together in the panel. Electronics are very sensitive to this issue. It is compounded by having electronics in the dimmer and the LED. There is also the compatibility issue with the GT-AD and RRD-H6BRL.

You may have more than 1 circuit in the box so you could get feedback on the neutral from the other circuit. It only takes a tiny bit of noise to make the electronics in the dimmer and/or LED to behave weirdly. I have seen installs where I can test it 20 times and it works but goes weird as soon as I walk away it goes weird.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com