Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-6ANS Multi-Location (3 physical switches) Install Issue - Lights won't turn off

PD-6ANS Multi-Location (3 physical switches) Install Issue - Lights won't turn off

Second time installing a PD-6ANS switch (first time was a simple single pole install), this time for a 4 way setup (3 physical switches, 2x3-way and 1x4-way). Townhouse built in 2008, neutrals in every j-box.

Here's the LED chandelier (same model used on my prior PD-6ANS install, no issues then):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Dec...7584/206058643

Followed the multi-room + 2 Pico instructions on p. 46 of this doc:

http://www.casetawireless.com/Docume...ced%20Inst.pdf

Installed the PD-6ANS in Location 1 (3-way), then connected/capped all 4 wires and separately capped the ground at Location 2 (4-way), then connected/capped all 3 wires and separately capped the ground at Location 3 (3-way). Triple checked all wiring looked good, then re-did it all to prove my sanity.

When I flip the breaker back on, the light comes on, but the switch thinks the light is off (the PD-6ANS buttons do nothing, but the LED status light is dim green, implying the light is off). Can't turn the light off, either from the PD-6ANS or the paired Picos. Pulling out FASS does nothing, so obviously something is terribly wrong....it's like the light is hard-wired. Only way to turn the light off is hitting the breaker (leaving the breaker off, obviously).

Help? Couldn't find anything on the web addressing this issue. Can't figure out if this is a switch hardware issue or my wiring skills. No multimeter or any testing equipment on hand.

See the note on page 50. Probably have the line in (on the left of the dimmer in the diagram) swapped with one of the loads out (travelers in your diagram). Get a glow stick to check if you don't have one- best $10-20 you'll spend if you are trying to do this yourself.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Mike, thanks for replying. I flipped things and ended up with no light (and no dim LED status light). Of the 3 wires in play (1 hot + 2 travelers), no combo would work....either light always on or no power. I fear I may have fried the switch....I'm going to test it in a simpler single pole setup to be sure.

I would go to Lutron's where to buy at the top of lutron.com. Look for someone who does RadioRA2 or HomeWorks and have them come take a look. Most electricians are pretty cool and will explain what they are doing, if you aren't hovering over their work. It will cost you a bit, but knowledge is valuable. If you learn for yourself, then you can save on the next install.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I know this is an old thread but I have the exact same issue. Triple checked everything, depending on where I have the black/red wire in Location 1 the lights are either always on or always off. Did you ever find a resolution?Thanks

Same here, what was the fix??

At one end, tie all 3 of the wires attached to the switch together.

At the middle location(s), tie all 4 wires attached to the switch together.

At the end where you are placing the dimmer, tie the 2 travelers together. They will be the same color as the wires from the other switches. They will come from the same cable.

You need to determine if the two wires you tied together are hot or the single wire is hot. Connect the hot to the black of the switch, the other to the red. Cap off the blue.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks Randy, obviously by your response I don't have the same setup as this guy.. One of my other posts will be more accurate of the 3 way i have. My Caseta wireless dimmer switch does not have a white or blue wire, only 2 black and the green. Also, Im pretty sure im only working with 2 boxes, not 3. Ill leave this thread, maybe ill open a new thread if i cant figure it out.