Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 6NA going into protect mode with WAC MLV transformers

6NA going into protect mode with WAC MLV transformers

I have a client that has several WAC cable track systems with magnetic drivers. Some are 3-wire tracks with a shared common. These work fine. There are several 2-wire tracks in the stair and these work fine.

The gallery has 2 independent sections of track controlled by 2 identical WAC MLV transformers(I think they are 600w) and 2 RRD-6NA. One of the 6NAs randomly goes into protect mode. The dimmer is remotely located so the owner has to go upstairs and reset it. It may then work for some random number of cycles. The other 6NA never has an issue. I tried swapping the dimmer with the dining chandelier and the issue stayed with the track. I have tried using forward and reverse phase with a variety of high and low end trim settings with no luck.

The other distinction is the track that goes into protect mode has 3 MR16 LED fixtures. The track with no issue has 6 (maybe more) MR16 LED fixtures. I'm wondering if there is a minimum load issue with the transformer itself. WAC is, of course, no help. I'm thinking about installing a MLC on the transformer itself or maybe even adding a fixture or two to the short track.

Any thoughts?
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I would try the 6ND or the 10ND. The preferred method from years of experience? Change the driver to another brand. WAC and ELV with Lutron is 95-99% a bad combo. And those that are working right now will probably fail too.

It's too bad, WAC makes some nice stuff, they just are completely unreliable when using Lutron.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    I would try the 6ND or the 10ND. The preferred method from years of experience? Change the driver to another brand. WAC and ELV with Lutron is 95-99% a bad combo. And those that are working right now will probably fail too.

It's too bad, WAC makes some nice stuff, they just are completely unreliable when using Lutron.
    Thanks Mike! I was hoping this post would catch your attention. I had unpleasant experiences with WAC and ELV also. This house has all MLV which is still doing well after a year or so. Unfortunately it is 3+ hours away so troubleshooting is a challenge. The electrician leaves a lot to be desired as well.

I'm still thinking it is a loading issue with the driver. I don't know why they used such a large one, other than it matches the transformer for the long section of the gallery (which is oversized as well). I'm not sure the MLC will work since the issue seems to be with the driver. I'll probably just move some of the fixtures around and see if the issue moves to the other half.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

If it's all MLV, take a load of 10ND's with you. (6ND if you know the loads are small). I've had better luck on the MLV than the ELV, but it's still WAY below the success rate I want/need. Easy enough to swap the dimmer type in design, it will automatically default in the software. Enter the new serial numbers (correctly in their positions!!) or push button activate and then transfer. Especially with a three hour tour just to get to the job.

I have run into the WAC problem so often, that I now recommend only switching WAC via Caseta/RR2/HWQS. Maybe the PHPMPA modules would be a good choice, but the added expense is always vetoed. I try and work with the designer to eliminate WAC from the fixture schedule where dimming is required.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols