Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-5NE Caseta Electronic Low Voltage ELV Dimmer periodically shuts off

PD-5NE Caseta Electronic Low Voltage ELV Dimmer periodically shuts off

Hi All,

I had a LUTRON PD-6WCL Caseta Wireless Dimmer (no neutral wire required) installed in my kitchen with a 12V track light with 6 halogen bulbs (small GU8.5 / MR16 indoor flood bulbs). It worked fine although there is a slight buzz from the lights (and I also swear they don't get as bright with the dimmer as they did with the old switch). I didn't realize until a few months later when a bulb burned out that this was a low-voltage fixture.

While planning to upgrade some other switches in the house, I learned about the availability of the ELV dimmer and thought the PD-5NE would eliminate the buzz. The house is 100 years old and the wiring to the kitchen light is very outdated (not even romex), but the switch happens to be in a 2-gang box that contains wiring for a disconnected outlet, so there is an available neutral wire.

I wired up the new PD-5NE ELV dimmer and it started up fine; the lights even appeared to be back to their full brightness and there we no audible buzz. However, as they warmed up, they would start to flicker and then ultimately periodically shut off and then come back on again repetitively. I wouldn't call it a flicker so much as a very slow strobe; off for a second or two, and then on for about 5-10 seconds or so.

I switched the phase to MLV and things were much worse, so I reverted back to ELV.

I read about interference from a neutral line that may overload the dimmer and trigger it to shut off, and I'm wondering if that is what was happening here. I've decided to revert back to the original switch; I don't trust my neutral line and I think ultimately I'd rather replace the cheap track lighting with something that is not 12V.

Before I send the ELV dimmer back, I'm wondering if there is any chance that compatible MR16 LEDs would resolve the issues (the buzz, flickering, and shut-offs), or if the more likely culprit is not the halogen bulbs but rather this rogue neutral hookup.

Appreciate any additional insight!

Most dimmers have a default high-end trim. It is usually around 10%. You should see a slight dimming when

Some transformers are not dimmable. Depending on the age of the transformer it may not be compatible with the electronic dimmers. This is often indicated by the pop-on/off you are seeing. Also, LEDs require a driver. I have never gotten a MR16 LED to work with a straight transformer (MLV or ELV).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Lutron Technical Support
    We've found that MR16 LEDs are difficult to dim properly.

Here is Lutron's App Note #559 on dimming MR16 LEDs: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/048559.pdf.
    Page 2 shows the ELV transformers that would have to be connected to the LED, and the dimmers that can control those transformers. Page 3 shows the compatible MR16 LED bulbs.

OP references Halogen Lamps

If you're having trouble with halogen lamps then I'd expect as much trouble with LED lamps.
    It's very possible the original transformers are non-dimming type.
    Based on the age of the wiring and difficulty with multiple dimmer types I'd recommend getting an electrician to evaluate your particular situation.

PD-5NE neutral interference?

A few years later and I'm back with some more information. I have 12V track lighting with this transformer: https://ballastshop.com/hd150-120-31...rmer-150w-12v/ The lights are halogen bulbs (no LEDs anywhere in this story...). I used it with a PD-6WCL for about two years and sure enough the switch blew (plenty of warnings around not using PD-6WCL with ELV lighting). I purchased the PD-5NE not realizing this is exactly what I tried to do originally a few years ago. In fact, in searching for a solution, I landed on this old thread which I started myself :-D With the PD-5NE, the lights turn on for a moment, then off, then on, then off at a steady rhythm. Not a flicker so much as a slow blink. I've read about neutral interference. It's very likely some of the other dimmers in my house are on the same neutral line. Is there anything I can put on the load or neutral wire to reduce the interference without running new wire?
    Last edited by a2mich; 06-09-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo