Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Suggestions on switches/dimmer and software/hardware migrate to home automation

Question Suggestions on switches/dimmer and software/hardware migrate to home automation

First, we are needing to replace a few (Maestro dimmers) so that we can add control points for the lights from other places in the room and from another point in our house.
    In one spot, we have 2 wall sconces (incandescent fixture with dimmable LEDS installed). Due to the location of the switch, they are very hard to control (The contractor really screwed you my design as these were supposed to have been controlled by dimmable 4 way switches. I am looking to replace the current switch (single location is what he installed and he did not run the wires to the other location (but he put the box and plate for it to be there!) So I am looking for something that is WIRELESS controlled. The remotes can be powered via batter or AC, but the signal needs to be wireless.

We have 2 more locations very similar but one need to only have 1 wireless control, where as the previous and one other location there will need to be at least two additional control points.

While we are doing this, I would like to start creating home automation and this would be a good starting point. What would I need to add to start being able to create an automation from computer to start off with and then start migrating other switches and devices as time goes on (I had requested the whole house to be automated when we built it 2 years ago, but the contractor talked my wife out of it...)
    Do any of the Lutron systems have inputs from weather stations (vie internet or a mod-bus or similar interface).

What hardware (both switches and the transmitter) and what is needed to the interface for the computer? Is RadioRA2 the best option? (We have about 50 LED dimmers many are three way and several 4 way). Our house is very GREEN (WE are LEED FOR HOMES certified GOLD). and only about 1 year completed.

We would also like to add out ac (Carrier Infinity Heat pump) and also a radiant floor heater (no pump/ heater yet).
    Can it also interface with garage doors Liftmaster), gate (Liftmaster) and irrigation (no controller yet)?

Thanks! Bruce

Lutron offers lighting control systems. All of their home systems have some form of HVAC control. Some of them work with other thermostats. For integration and advanced automation, you need a 3rd party system. All of their home systems have APP control. RR2 and HQS require PC programming. None have PC control. All of the systems offer wireless communication. HQS also offers wired communication.

Which system would depend on the number of devices and how you want to integrate. Caseta Wireless has a limit of 50 devices. RA2 Select has a limit of 100 devices. These integrate with consumer systems like Wink and SmartThings. Caseta & R2S do not offer true keypads. RadioRA 2 has a limit of 200 devices. HomeWorks QS has a limit of 3200 RF devices. RR2 and HQS are designed to integrate with larger systems like Crestron and Savant.

You mentioned Maestro dimmers. Caseta uses a different interface. R2S, RR2, & HQS all use Maestro style dimmers and switches. R2S devices can be used in a RR2 system. Most of the other devices are not interchangeable.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com