Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta Wireless (PD-5NE-WH) Not Working with LED Waves PR15 Recessed LED Lights

Caseta Wireless (PD-5NE-WH) Not Working with LED Waves PR15 Recessed LED Lights

I just installed the PR15 ULTRA-THIN 4" LED Recessed Dimmable Kit sold by LED Waves. It is low voltage LED recessed lighting with a driver that has a line wire (black), neutral wire (white), and ground wire (green/yellow stripped) input. I purchased the PR15 for kitchen, which also has a main fan/light. The main fan/light works using a typical toggle switch, which is installed in the same 2-gang box as the PD-5NE. The Lutron PD-5NE also has a white/neutral wire, a line wire/black, a load wire/red, and a ground wire/green. I am using 12/2 Romex. The PD-5NE has 4 wires, being black, white, red, and green.

I followed Lutron's instructions for installing, making sure the red wire of the PD-5NE is connected to the load wire (black) going to the LED driver, the white wire of the PD-5NE is connected to the neutral wire, which is pigtailed from the main wire, the black wire of the PD-5NE is energized by connecting the black/line wire coming from the breaker box to the black wire of the PD-5NE, and the green wire of the PD-5NE is connected to the ground wire coming from the breaker box. Likewise, I made sure the driver's ground wire is connected to the uncovered copper ground wire of the load wire coming from the PD-5NE. I also grounded the metal box, which is used to house the driver.

I bought the 8-light natural white version of the PR15 with the following specs:

Wattage: 11Watt per fixture
    Compares to: 50W Halogen bulb
    Light Output:
    Neutral white (4000K): 763 lumens per fixture
    LED Chip: High-power LEDs
    CRI: >80
    Beam Angle: 110°
    Voltage: Dimmable LED driver: 120VAC 50/60Hz
    Lifespan: 50,000 hours
    Housing: Metal
    Protection Rating: ETL listed: Standard for Safety for Luminaires (UL 1598), Luminaires (CSA C22.2#250.0), Standard for Safety for Light Emitting Diode (LED) Equipment for Use in Lighting Products (UL 8750), CE, RoHS, IC rated

PROBLEM:

The problem I have is that the PD-5NE is not working in that when the circuit breaker is turned on, the LED lights turn on full brightness and cannot be controlled by the PD-5NE. I made sure the PD-5NE is programed correctly in the ELV mode by pressing the ON/OFF buttons simultaneously and making sure the lower light is lighted on the PD-5NE. I saved this setting by pressing holding the OFF button. While the PD-5NE indicates it is working in that the lights showing lighting level move up and down as if the LED lights are being dimmed and brightened; however, nothing is actually happening. I can't even turn off the LED lights with the PD-5NE. The only way I can turn the lights off is by pulling the FASS switch.

I don't know if there is a compatibility issue or wiring is incorrect.

It sounds like a wiring issue. In particular like you have the power in and dimmer out wires reversed.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thank you for your response. I reversed the load and line wires on the PD-5NE (Caseta), to no avail. Still the same problem of not being able to control the LEDs. I went to Home Depot and purchased Lutron's MSCL-OP153MH "Occupancy Sensor dimmer" ("OSD") but it too does not work. Actually, the OSD is even worse than the Caseta, as the LEDs will not even go on. They flickered at first then I saw nothing. I was concerned that I may have blew the LEDs, but after reinstalling the Caseta they go on and I am back to square one. I suspect since the OSD does not have a neutral wire. I tied the neutrals together and thought I might try a dimmer without a neutral. Not a loss though since I put the OSD in the hallway, which I happen to like since it will turn on automatically. Below is a photo of the driver specs. It is a TRIAC dimmer driver with a ground, line, and load, connections.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driver.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	716

The problem is fixed! The following is how:

One more thing. Sometimes, the ELV+ dimmer gets stuck on full with status lights flashing, no matter what phasing you set it to. This can be fixed by resetting the dimmer by doing the following, which apparently reset the dimmer:

1. TAP THE ON BUTTON THREE TIMES HOLDING THE THIRD TAP ON
    2. CONTINUE TO HOLD THE ON BUTTON UNTIL THE LIGHT AND OR STATUS LIGHTS FLASH QUICKLY
    3.RELEASE THE BUTTON AND THEN IMMEDIATELY TAP THE ON BUTTON THREE MORE TIMES.

This factory resets the dimmer, removes all pairings, etc. and solves the stuck on issue.

Thanks to goodboyr who provided reset instructions.