Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Juno LED diodes burning up and failing...only in one room?? PLEASE HELP!!

Question Juno LED diodes burning up and failing...only in one room?? PLEASE HELP!!

So, I have been representing Lutron for 4 years and over that time, I have seen many LED brands, installs, problems, issues, questions, etc. However, I have a current problem that has the entire project team baffled.

The job is a HWI install with over 200 Juno Aculux LEDs. All the Juno recessed are being controlled by 4A modules. Of these 200+ fixtures, 16 of them have been failing at an alarming rate. All 16 are located in the Kitchen. There are no failures anywhere else. The modules are not frying or locking and the LED drivers are not shorting, it is the diodes that are burning up and failing. Normally, when we see a diode problem we an point to the driver, wiring or fixture manufacturer. However, we have the same scenario throughout the whole house and not one issue. Plus, the LED modules/diodes have been replaced and we are still seeing failures in this manner. Absolutely bizarre. 4 recessed zones on 3 different 4A modules.

A couple theories are heat, usage, ceiling insulation, and back fed power/ neutral sharing issues.....but again the same scenario exists in the whole house. Anyone with any ideas or thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCohenYusen View Post
    So, I have been representing Lutron for 4 years and over that time, I have seen many LED brands, installs, problems, issues, questions, etc. However, I have a current problem that has the entire project team baffled.

The job is a HWI install with over 200 Juno Aculux LEDs. All the Juno recessed are being controlled by 4A modules. Of these 200+ fixtures, 16 of them have been failing at an alarming rate. All 16 are located in the Kitchen. There are no failures anywhere else. The modules are not frying or locking and the LED drivers are not shorting, it is the diodes that are burning up and failing. Normally, when we see a diode problem we an point to the driver, wiring or fixture manufacturer. However, we have the same scenario throughout the whole house and not one issue. Plus, the LED modules/diodes have been replaced and we are still seeing failures in this manner. Absolutely bizarre. 4 recessed zones on 3 different 4A modules.

A couple theories are heat, usage, ceiling insulation, and back fed power/ neutral sharing issues.....but again the same scenario exists in the whole house. Anyone with any ideas or thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thoughts?
    Hi Jeff-
    You bring up a good point asking about backfeed or neutral sharing issues. I've seen a few ELV and MLV halogen installs where 2-3 years later the client calls because the lights are flickering. Careful checks of the zone wiring revealed that 2 zones were accidentally interconnected in the ceiling. This 'worked fine' for many years and then the flickering cropped up. If the zone wiring hasn't been checked out yet, that's where I would start. The 4As would generally look a-okay because the 2 interconnected zones would be on the same phase.