Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IFTTT for Caseta and RA2 Select, but not for RA2?

Angry IFTTT for Caseta and RA2 Select, but not for RA2?

What is going on? IFTTT integration is available for the low-end products Caseta and RA2 Select, but it is still not available for regular RA2. I would like to set up a recipe to turn on all the lights if there is an earthquake (If new tweet by specific user @bigQuakesLA, then turn on..).

What is going on with Lutron?? The low-end products get the good features but not the high-end products?

2. Likes dvpvic liked this post
    Ra2 Select is built off the newer Caseta type platform. Thus it get the IFTTT integration that Caseta has. RadioRA2 (full) is quite old for a processor, and essentially speaks a different language that IFTTT and SmartThings and such cannot interface with directly. The Connect Bridge is a way for RadioRA2 and HWQS to get the voice assistants, but lacks the ability to integrate with IFTTT. RR2 and HWQS, however, are far more robust in their programming capabilities- so there is your trade off. Additional to the more advanced programming is the price point the product lines are aimed at- both RR2 and HWQS would generally be in a home where third party integration is far more likely- something all levels of Lutron systems can do, except the standard SmartBridge for Caseta from the big box stores.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Interesting Mike. In that case I suggest Lutron should come out with a newer main repeater for RR2. Since the Ra2 Select repeater works with existing Ra2 switches, it should be technically feasible to update the RR2 main unit with a newer processor and cloud friendly software. Hunter Douglas did this with their PowerView Hub -- they recently introduced a Gen 2 Hub that allows Scenes to connect to Amazon Alexa, whereas the Gen 1 Hub had a little bit of cloud integration. It's easy to migrate from the Gen 1 Hub to the Gen 2 Hub. I can imagine Lutron doing the same thing to refresh RR2 and leapfrog ahead of the low-end Caseta and Ra2 Select products, while maintaining compatibility with existing switches. Or at least I hope that Lutron does something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DDBear View Post
    Interesting Mike. In that case I suggest Lutron should come out with a newer main repeater for RR2. Since the Ra2 Select repeater works with existing Ra2 switches, it should be technically feasible to update the RR2 main unit with a newer processor and cloud friendly software. Hunter Douglas did this with their PowerView Hub -- they recently introduced a Gen 2 Hub that allows Scenes to connect to Amazon Alexa, whereas the Gen 1 Hub had a little bit of cloud integration. It's easy to migrate from the Gen 1 Hub to the Gen 2 Hub. I can imagine Lutron doing the same thing to refresh RR2 and leapfrog ahead of the low-end Caseta and Ra2 Select products, while maintaining compatibility with existing switches. Or at least I hope that Lutron does something like this.
    I am with you on this, RR2 was debuted around 2009 sometime. Technology has gone miles in these past 9 years and that poor little main rep. processor is as good as my old algebra calculator somewhere in a bottom drawer... It blows to have customers say, "well what about RA2 Select, or Caseta they can do that and this can't?" Granted that there is more advanced programing and devices like @SDR-Mike mentioned.

6. Likes Bill13 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DDBear View Post
    I've mentioned this several times to Lutron employees. I've also asked for a switching hybrid keypad since mid 2010. There are things that just won't get done- not enough interest/projected sales, high cost of re-tooling and manufacturing, etc. Just look at the fan speed for Caseta. Everyone wants one on the west coast, south, and midwest. Just not enough money in it. And now we have Ra2Select which DOES get the fan speed. So I default to Ra2Select and let the customer pennypinch into Caseta or need programming that justifies RadioRA2. For the people that continue to complain about Caseta not getting this or that or why the limits on other threads, I always ask- why by a Pinto when you want/need a Corvette? Pinto's get you around and where you need to go. You can dump money into it and get it to go pretty fast. But you'll never beat a Corvette, or be as comfortable as a Rolls Royce. We as sales people need to PROPERLY educate ourselves and the customer, and push the product that is RIGHT for the customer instead of taking the easy way out and then complaining later that Lutron doesn't listen. I guarantee they did a TON of market research before ever introducing Ra2Select. Whining about your poor Caseta being limited is really complaining about you not doing the research and selecting the right product line in the beginning. (BTW- I love Caseta, when sold to the proper customer and application, and I personally own RadioRA2.)

Sorry for the rant. If I put this where it needs to go, I'll probably get a week's ban from the boards.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

8. Thanks Bill13 thanked for this post
    Likes dvpvic liked this post
    I wonder if the ClearConnect RF processors inside the switches are designed to last through several technology cycles. It seems that way, since Lutron is able to use the same switches for Ra2 Select. This is very important because while it's easy to swap out the main repeater, it is a pain in the *** to re-wire the whole house with new switches everywhere. Assuming that the switches are designed to last through several product lines, now all that Lutron needs to do is to update the design of the RR2 main repeater! Just the same way that Hunter Douglas updated their hub from Gen 1 to Gen 2 to support better cloud integration. They can update the ancient calculator processor to a modern processor. Mike, since you have contact with Lutron employees maybe you can help us communicate this to the company? If they allow the high-end RR2 and QS systems lag behind the low-end product lines then some other competitor is going to come in and people will be tearing out their RR2 systems to put something else in place which is more upgradeable for modern cloud integration.

10. Likes dvpvic, Thecho liked this post
    RA2 Select and RA2, seem so similar in the eyes of a customer. You look at the devices that are supported, and RA2 Select pretty much supports everything that RA2 (essentials) supports. Inclusive still has more devices like the GRAFIX dimmers/switches, and a few other things.

If we think about life in a homekit/google home/amazon world, as those product evolve, where will most of the complexity or programming go? My guess is as technology evolves, more and more will go up in the home kit/google home/amazon alexa part of the equation. Lutron's key stregth is the Clear Connect RF and responsiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by heimdm View Post
    RA2 Select and RA2, seem so similar in the eyes of a customer. You look at the devices that are supported, and RA2 Select pretty much supports everything that RA2 (essentials) supports. Inclusive still has more devices like the GRAFIX dimmers/switches, and a few other things.

If we think about life in a homekit/google home/amazon world, as those product evolve, where will most of the complexity or programming go? My guess is as technology evolves, more and more will go up in the home kit/google home/amazon alexa part of the equation. Lutron's key stregth is the Clear Connect RF and responsiveness.
    There is actually a significant difference in the two systems. RR2 has actual keypads plus sensors, advanced integration (i.e. Crestron, Savant, etc.), Grafik Eye, and Grafik T. If you beef up R2S to accommodate those devices the price point becomes the same as RR2. RR2 requires software. If you add IFTTT type features to RR2 you lose the retail market.

IMO, the RA2 Select name was a bad choice because it does create confusion for the end user. I would have used something like Caseta PRO+ or maybe Casa.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

In the whole scheme of things between RR2 and RR2 select, the cost for the repeaters seems like peanuts compared to the overall cost of either solution. The real differentiating factor for Lutron, are the keypads, and controls.

Under an RR2 Select model, it seems in some ways that it is competing against homekit/google. Recreating that functionality within the app.
    Under an RR2 model, you can either put all the logic down in RR2, or up in homekit/google. However, here you can leverage all the cool controls, endpoints/instruments.

I come from a Cisco Systems/telepresence/room system background, and they were pretty bad a naming stuff, that confused the crap out of technical and end users. Mostly by calling things that weren't the same thing, the same name. I think Lutron and the market is torn, with the entire "app" culture and drive around IOT (Internet of Things). The value of the rebuilt integrations with Crestron and Control4, etc, are big in my book. The one thing you want to avoid creating are islands.

Have you seen the stuff that Atmos (startup) has been working on (https://www.startengine.com/atmos). It looks interesting, and they are showing integration to Lutron, but not defining which platforms. $250 for a 10" touch screen wall interface could be compelling so time will tell on that.

In my mind RR2 and RR2 Select are pretty much the same from a cost perspective. RR2 is definitely the more robust option. If the value of RR2 Select is program-ability via the app, with RR2, you can spend a day taking the level 1 course so you get access to the essential software. Then you can probably do just about what you would do with RR2 Select app programming.

14. Likes dvpvic liked this post
    I did exactly that (took the course) so I could setup my own system. It really only takes half a day if you knuckle down and is well worth it just for the device knowledge.

On IFTTT with RR2: It is possible, if you're prepared do to some s/w programming. I use a tiny-PC (slightly smaller than the Main Repeater), that sits on telnet to monitor the button presses in the system. When it sees Goodnight, it sends an IFTTT trigger through WebHooks, which can then trigger Nest to turn down our thermostat. I'm just playing right now, do see what's possible. I haven't tried, but it should also be possible to go the other way - Use an IFTTT trigger to send a message into the PC to press a button (e.g. in response to a geo-fence status change).

The Connect Bridge is just a computer, like my tiny-PC, and there is absolutely no reason Lutron couldn't connect it to IFTTT. If it can send messages into Lutrons cloud it can definitely send a html POST event to IFTTT. Lutron just choose not to invest in this area (which is of course their right). My guess is that they don't see sufficient benefit in doing so for a product like RR2, due to the volume and target market.

16. Likes Bill13 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast