Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: new system recommendations

new system recommendations

Hello first time poster, Home owner 3400 Square foot home with some understanding of Smart solutions.

My first challenge is to get the lights under control
    Everyone in my house only know how to turn them on!!!
    I am trying to figure which smart system will take care of my needs.
    I have a home with just a couple wired internet connections. SO i am needing a system that will work 98% wireless .
    obviously i want to start off with the most up to date system and build it as i move forward.
    The first task is to get some simple occupancy sensor wall switches. in the Garage, mudroom, and a few choice rooms that everyone leaves on.
    Next I have a lot of can lights in my kitchen/ dinning room area on multi switch wall mounts that i would like to have smart choice lighting with dimming as well as a remote smart Wireless occupancy sensor that would work like a wall occupancy switch. for all that i wants on that paticular sensor
    I am probably going to add a couple of wifi thermostats in the near future and may something later like Ring or something similar.

I also have a office/ shed with a wired connection that i would like to extend to.

I do not mind spending a few dollars for the (Hub) i just want some advice on where to start.

Thank you in advance
    Doug Lehman
    757-689-3421
    cdouglehman@yahoo.com

RadioRA 2. http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

RR2 uses it's own RF system so only the main repeater(s) need wired network connection. Depending on the distance to the shed, you could run a 4-conductor wire and put an aux repeater there.

There are families of dimmers (Maestro, Maestro Occ/Vac sensors) that have the same user interface.

Radio Powr Savr sensors work with RadioRA 2 and Maestro Wireless (not at the same time).
    http://www.lutron.com/en-US/products.../overview.aspx

RA2 Select might be an option. It has a 100 device limit and does not support RPS sensors. If you outgrow it, most of the components can be used in a RR2 system.
    http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

More info

What system would I use if I want the remote occupancy sensors to control the
    Mister Wireless dimmer switches that could turn all the lights in a large room ?
    I would also like to be able to add temperature control control and audio in the furture

Maestro Wireless has a limit of 10 devices/radios. It works with the RPS sensors.

In RadioRA 2, the sensors talk to the main repeater so they can control any device in the system (not just in the room).

RadioRA 2, RA2 select and Caseta all have thermostats and can communicate with some other thermostats.

Lutron is good at allowing other systems to control it, no so good at controlling other systems.

You should probably look at a system like Wink that act as an integrator.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com