Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What size house is Casta intended for vs RadioRA 2?

What size house is Casta intended for vs RadioRA 2?

So have been using Caseta for a while with Wink, my old place was 2400 SQFT and I only had key rooms installed for remote lighting control/management (6 spaces). I just moved into a new place which is slightly larger (2650 sq ft) and again am using Caseta, many which I brought with me from the other place....but I started reading more and didn't know there was a 50 device limit....I don't think I will hit that as currently I am at 18 devices (including remotes for three way locations) and have most of my spaces covered, might add the rest of the bedrooms and office as well as attic and basement (5 devices total) bringing my count up to 23....

But was wondering what is the cut for most, I realize that this system is considerably limited when compared to RadioRA from a customization standpoint and one could install that in any size house, but is there a point when Caseta seems limiting for folks?

Also any idea if the device limit will be lifted? thanks

If you are using Wink, the Caseta devices are connected to the Wink hub, not the Caseta hub. The limitations then become a function of Wink. I have a customer using 4 Wink hubs and >50 Caseta devices.

If you are using a Caseta hub, the devices must be within 30 feet of the hub. The plug-in dimmer can be used as an extender (1/system). Which is why Lutron lists it as a "room control" system. Some have used 2 Caseta systems in the same house. That requires a lot of planning as the two systems will not talk to each other.

RA2 Select can get you up to 100 devices. The devices are more expensive but can be used in a RadioRA2 system.

RadioRA2 has a 200 device limit. It will accept multiple repeaters so you get a much larger footprint.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    If you are using Wink, the Caseta devices are connected to the Wink hub, not the Caseta hub. The limitations then become a function of Wink. I have a customer using 4 Wink hubs and >50 Caseta devices.

If you are using a Caseta hub, the devices must be within 30 feet of the hub. The plug-in dimmer can be used as an extender (1/system). Which is why Lutron lists it as a "room control" system. Some have used 2 Caseta systems in the same house. That requires a lot of planning as the two systems will not talk to each other.

RA2 Select can get you up to 100 devices. The devices are more expensive but can be used in a RadioRA2 system.

RadioRA2 has a 200 device limit. It will accept multiple repeaters so you get a much larger footprint.
    Hey thanks, from what I have read it sounds like Wink also has the same limit of 50 devices, not sure if that is an agreement with Lutron that they have to be able to integrate with them.

I just didn't know if there were general guidelines as to when you get to a certain square footage or size place then caseta is out and you're encouraged to look at something else like RA2 or select.

My house is small and my big uses are timers and voice commands via Echo so I think I should be ok with Caseta but still curious and it sounds like its a matter or devices and distance.

I'd also be curious as to how many people install RA2 systems or even Select...I only know one person who put it in but they work for a major AV integrator and I figure got much of it on discount as well as used his own firm for the programming.

With Wink you can use multiple hubs and they do talk to each other. I'm not sure how many Wink hubs you can have but the system I was referring to has 4.

Based on the 30 ft radius you are talking about 2800 square feet. However, every house is different. You may not be able to get the hub exactly in the center, etc. I have a house that was built in the 1800s. They used lead chicken wire as a backing for the plaster. It's about 3000 sqft and I have 6 repeaters in it.

The RF coverage is a sphere. Even if you get the hub in the center, much of the 2nd floor won't be covered. Half of your sphere is going to be in the ground or basement.

RA2 Select is relatively new. It is designed for the consumer market and can be programmed through the phone app. RR2 requires software and is distributed through dealers. You can do some editing through the app. As a dealer, I can't compete with Amazon and HomeDepot so I sell RR2. If they want, I will do the initial set up and programming.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    With Wink you can use multiple hubs and they do talk to each other. I'm not sure how many Wink hubs you can have but the system I was referring to has 4.

Based on the 30 ft radius you are talking about 2800 square feet. However, every house is different. You may not be able to get the hub exactly in the center, etc. I have a house that was built in the 1800s. They used lead chicken wire as a backing for the plaster. It's about 3000 sqft and I have 6 repeaters in it.

The RF coverage is a sphere. Even if you get the hub in the center, much of the 2nd floor won't be covered. Half of your sphere is going to be in the ground or basement.

RA2 Select is relatively new. It is designed for the consumer market and can be programmed through the phone app. RR2 requires software and is distributed through dealers. You can do some editing through the app. As a dealer, I can't compete with Amazon and HomeDepot so I sell RR2. If they want, I will do the initial set up and programming.
    Thanks, with Wink I didn't even know I could have more than one hub, so learn something new every day, I have the older hub though.

Sounds like I am just within the limits as my place is 2650 and pretty much a stacked box style colonial

I wonder on average how much folks spend on select or RRA2....my house wasn't cheap but on all upgrades we were around 40K, I can only imagine most spending 20K+ on lighting systems are doing so in million dollar plus places.

Thanks