Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Remote Dimmer Placement and Spacing Considerations?

Remote Dimmer Placement and Spacing Considerations?

I'm adding about 15 dimmers to an existing project originally installed by someone else. They would like to remote all the dimmers into one, possibly two different closet's or a small utility room.

What are the guidelines for spacing maestros when in close proximity? Should I gang them in 5 sets of 3 dimmers?

Should I split the group between the two possible locations? How many maestros would you think is too many for a single confined space?
    I can't have performance problems, and I'm not looking to save money. I simply want to do it right the first time.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimAV View Post
    I'm adding about 15 dimmers to an existing project originally installed by someone else. They would like to remote all the dimmers into one, possibly two different closet's or a small utility room.

What are the guidelines for spacing maestros when in close proximity? Should I gang them in 5 sets of 3 dimmers?

Should I split the group between the two possible locations? How many maestros would you think is too many for a single confined space?
    I can't have performance problems, and I'm not looking to save money. I simply want to do it right the first time.
    Thanks

Just remember to consider de-rating when you gang the dimmers. Generally we install each dimmer in a single gang box and have mounted up to 20 dimmers in a closet with no adverse effects. Location is more a function of proximity to the load being controlled. Another thing to consider if putting into a closet is shelving, if it's a linen closet we work with the home owner on where the shelves are and mount the dimmers in a way to keep clear of the shelf.

Thanks Mike, This whole place is LED, which just adds to the fun but at least I don't think de-rating is going to be an issue. I know the electrician would like to avoid single boxing everything as long as it's not going to create a problem.

I used to put everything in 2-gang boxes. You would have minimal derating on those two and didn't have to do the double-derating on a middle device. If everything is LED, you don't have to worry about derating. You should be able to use 3 or 4-gangs with no issues. I would still put potentially large loads in a single gang. I have a customer with a foyer chandelier that has 48 bulbs.

Lutron has a spec that there has to be 4.5" of vertical spacing when boxes are mounted over top of each other.

Have you considered the WPM? It only does forward phase but would save a few $$.
    Last edited by randyc; 11-29-2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Double post
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com