Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: control outlet with PD-6ANS

That was a good suggestion, but it made no difference. The lights still do not come on. I could not experiment too much cuz pop the cold, but this may be my best bet to troubleshoot. Thanks

Was this issue ever solved? I have exactly the same issue with a Caseta wireless switch to an outlet with outdoor Christmas lights.

Same here but with GFCI

Quote Originally Posted by tgs-53001charis62 View Post
    Was this issue ever solved? I have exactly the same issue with a Caseta wireless switch to an outlet with outdoor Christmas lights.
    I'm curious to know if this was ever solved also. I'm trying to accomplish the same thing with my Christmas lights. My situation is slightly different but sounds similar. My outside outlet is GFCI protected and works perfectly fine when using a regular toggle switch. However, when I replace the toggle with a PD-6ANS, the GFCI trips. I am not able to reset it as long as the PD-6ANS is connected. As soon as I remove it from the circuit, all is well again.The original post described plugging in a power strip. I wonder if the power strip was GFCI protected, tripped, and got reset when he/she unplugged and replugged it in.

An update for the specific situation I was experiencing with a GFCI outlet: To be more clear, my circuit layout was in this order: Circuit breaker panel to a GFCI outlet (inside the house) to a toggle switch then to a regular outlet (outside). The GFCI at the beginning of the circuit is what would trip when I replaced the toggle switch with a PD-6ANS. However, I have recently got everything to work as expected! The switch box I was mounting the PD-6ANS into to control my outside outlet had a second circuit buried in it that fed other, unrelated devices. When I connected the PD-6ANS wires inside the box, I connected the NEUTRAL wire to the neutral of the second circuit in the switch box. Therefore, the GFCI outlet on the circuit I was trying to control saw a mis-match in return currents and therefore remained in the tripped position. Once I corrected the wiring (and connected the PD-6ANS neutral to the same circuit I was trying to control), everything worked as expected. I'm able to turn my outlet on and off with the PD-6ANS at the switch and through the Caseta app remotely. This may not directly help the original poster but may lead to further troubleshooting... especially if the power strip used was a GFCI power strip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12