Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: control outlet with PD-6ANS

Question control outlet with PD-6ANS

I have connected the Lutron PD-6ANS to control an outlet. But have an issue with it working properly, so I am not sure if its a problem with the wiring, or the switch cannot be used like this.

When i turn on the switch, the lights connected to the outlet do not turn on, I have to unplug them and replug them ( I don't have to turn the switch on or off again), and it will turn on. It makes no sense to me. its like power is at the outlet, but I still have to unplug and replug. The outlet is a regular outlet. I had a regular switch before and everything worked fine.

I know this is not much of an explanation, but I am hoping someone here has more experience with this sort of setup to tell me if I should look at the wiring or just give up on trying to use the switch in this scenario.

Thanks

You may need to install the MLC that came with the switch.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for the quick reply. what is the MLC? There was nothing else with the switch I got.

It is a minimum load capacitor. It's about 1/2" square with a wire hanging out each side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0025.JPG  
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks again. My switch never came with one of those. I would have kept it. In fact none of the dimmers I bought came with that either.
    will have to try and find one on the market.

Let's start at the beginning- what is it that you are turning on and off via the outlet? I have used this set-up plenty of times in RR2 and Caseta without ever seeing this problem. It seems more like there could be something in the device that resets when powered down via the switched outlet.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Right now it is just holiday lights. I have plugged in a 3 outlet power strip into it, and 3 led light strips connected to that outlet strip.
    I have not tried plugging in anything heavier (more power hungry) than LED lights till now.

The main purpose is for holiday lights, and I don't want the outlet powered when I am not using it, since it is outside.

This sounds more like a distance/interference issue from the switch to the bridge. How far apart are they, what is in between them like walls and such, and are there an motor loads close to the switch? Also, how is the switch mounted? Is it inside an all metal box and lid?

no, its not an interference issue. I can manually click on the on button on the switch, and the lights will not come on. But then I can go to the outlet, unplug the lights, and plug them back in and it will be working.

Seems like a load issue, but I don't understand why unplug/replug works. I would have expected it not to turn on the outlet at all.

try plugging a USB phone charger into the power strip- it was a trick from someone doing something similar with a Caseta plug in module. might help get you over the minimum load (should be about 10W)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast