Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Best 6” New Construction Cans?

Best 6” New Construction Cans?

I used I believe LR4 from CREE in a situation a few years ago and wondered what anyone recommends for RR2. Yes, I know there’s the LED tool, but hearing from experience on actual RR2 dimmers is nice.

For example, I’m looking for a 6” with pretty high CRI, 3000K that dims well, can run 85W equivalency of light and is not too expensive. It might actually be more cost effective to get a normal can and drop in a bulb, but that’s not ideal.

For any recommendations, please share which dimmer you like. Thank you so much!

Had a lot of good luck with Nora Cobalt running 10ND/6ND. Pic any 6" can and order the Cobalt insert to match the socket (edison base or T24 here in CA). Used 1000's like this with various customers for the nicer end of things. Lower end- try your favorite can with the Lithonia E series (should be 90+ CRI here in CA now). Just watch the Lithonias and the WPMs, will once in a while have a flicker on a single output leg of the WPM (shhhhh, we fixed with an MLC on that output only).
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

3. Likes dvpvic liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    Had a lot of good luck with Nora Cobalt running 10ND/6ND. Pic any 6" can and order the Cobalt insert to match the socket (edison base or T24 here in CA). Used 1000's like this with various customers for the nicer end of things. Lower end- try your favorite can with the Lithonia E series (should be 90+ CRI here in CA now). Just watch the Lithonias and the WPMs, will once in a while have a flicker on a single output leg of the WPM (shhhhh, we fixed with an MLC on that output only).
    Ive been using warmGlow dimming style lamps from philips because they aren't a gross green color when dimmed down low. Would you say the Noras are similar to an incandescent when dimmed down towards 10 percent or so? Ive used some Lotus gimbal style pot lights and those dim beautifully. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dvpvic View Post
    Ive been using warmGlow dimming style lamps from philips because they aren't a gross green color when dimmed down low. Would you say the Noras are similar to an incandescent when dimmed down towards 10 percent or so? Ive used some Lotus gimbal style pot lights and those dim beautifully. Thanks
    I've been using the warmGlow as well with RRD-6D dimmers with good results when I have three or more on the dimmer. A lamps and the BR. I like them because of the color shift and the fact they have the R20 lamp as well. home Depot has the best pricing I can find and stocks them locally.

That being said, I prefer the Nora ComfortDim or TCP's Allusion series. Nora is 2700-1800K and the TCP is 3000-1800K-ish (minor variations depending on lamp style). Iwould prefer the bottom of my color shift to be near the incandescent 1800K range, but pricing on the Philips and the performance are hard to beat (and I can keep my cans and trims, less $$).
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

6. Thanks dvpvic thanked for this post
    I guess someone needs to recommend the Lutron line of recessed, but wow are they pricey;). I would not recommend that large a can anymore - you should be able to get all the light output you need from a 3 or 4 inch aperture. If you are okay with that line of thinking another great choice would be USAI Lighting their selection is amazing: http://www.usailighting.com/beveled21

- - - Updated - - -

I guess someone needs to recommend the Lutron line of recessed, but wow are they pricey;). I would not recommend that large a can anymore - you should be able to get all the light output you need from a 3 or 4 inch aperture. If you are okay with that line of thinking another great choice would be USAI Lighting their selection is amazing: http://www.usailighting.com/beveled21

- - - Updated - - -

You are able to use any can/housing for Lutron? I thought they need to be Lutron compatible?