Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Serena Shade Not Working - Fast Blinking Red Light

Serena Shade Not Working - Fast Blinking Red Light

Hi,

For a couple of months, one of the Serena roller shades I own has started to work intermittently to the point where as of a couple of days ago it stopped working completely. During those 2 months, I have replaced all 8 batteries, to ensure the batteries are not the issues.

At the same time, I have noticed the small LED light blinking very fast in red colour. Based on Lutron's troubleshooting instructions, it seems that the code means some sort of a sudden stop due to obstruction - which is not the case in my situation. I have tried to restore to the factory settings with the 3-tap - long press - 3 tap procedure to no avail (the procedure resulted in the factory defaults but the shade still doesn't work after adding it back to the Lutron bridge). To clarify, the behaviour of the shade is that it tries minimally to move or sometimes it doesn't try at all, followed immediately by the fast blinking red light.

I'm hoping that it is not a problem with the motor.

Has anyone encountered this before and were able to fix it? Or is this a case for a Lutron repair? A note that the shade had less than a month outside of the 1 year warranty when it started to malfunction.

Everyone's help with the above is extremely appreciated.

Thank you!

Try resetting the upper and lower limits. During certain planetary alignments if a left handed person walks too close to the shade the limits get out of wack.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Try resetting the upper and lower limits. During certain planetary alignments if a left handed person walks too close to the shade the limits get out of wack.
    Thanks. As I mentioned, I have performed factory resetting. I doubt that the upper and lower limits did not reset as a result. I'm sure they did reset several times. Anyway, I was not able to find any option in the latest Lutron app to reset them.

I do mostly Triathlon and QS/Wireless. Factory default does not reset the upper and lower limits. You can find the directions here (page 1, step 2):

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/045506.pdf
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I do mostly Triathlon and QS/Wireless. Factory default does not reset the upper and lower limits. You can find the directions here (page 1, step 2):

www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/045506.pdf
    Thanks a lot for trying to help. I have tried to follow the instructions as follows:

1. The only way the shade gets in the programming load (tap the LED and stays on green) is to factory reset it. Once it's being added to the bridge, tapping the LED does not get the shade in programming mode

2. Once the shade is in programming mode (green LED stays on for 30 secs after tapping), I have tried to press both buttons on the remote (open + up) - to no avail. The shade did not connect with the remote

I have tried several times the prescribed procedure and even reset the remote to factory settings but it didn't work. Unless something is missing or I'm doing wrong, I don't know what else I can try besides call Lutron. I replaced again all the batteries with a different brand - just to take those completely out of the picture as being the problem. And I can confirm with complete certainty that the batteries are not the issue.

Interesting. I just found this after I posted the above reply: https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...inking-red-1-8 Looks like a lot of people are having this issue.

Lutron customer service is rock-solid. They often want the old product back to find out what the issue is. Check with them before you dispose of the faulty shade.
    www.convergenceusa.com

I realize this is almost 1 year old, however, this is to confirm that yes, Lutron customer service rocks. They sent me a new shade and I returned the defective one. No questions asked and they apologized for the issue I was experiencing. Haven't had any problem since. In fact, I liked their products and service so much that I ordered 4 more shades (expecting them on 25-Nov). At that point, the whole house will be having only Lutron Serena shades. :-) Thank you, Lutron!