Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta Wireless only works via the FASS

Caseta Wireless only works via the FASS

I've recently installed the PD-6ANS to try and control my porch light. It shares a box with another Lutron wireless dimmer (no neutral required).

The new PD-6ANS is connected, LED is on and green, however, the light doesn't turn on unless I press the on switch, and then open and close the FASS. Then, if I turn the light off, via the app or the switch itself, it won't turn back on unless I repeat the above - therefore I can't control it via the app / timers, etc, which is the reason I want it.

I hooked up the wire that was at the top of the old switch to the black, and the wire that was at the bottom of the old switch to the red.

I have an older house, I THINK I hooked up this switch to a neutral - there was a white wire inside the box, that wasn't connected to anything, and I hooked this to the neutral line. I guess it's possible this actually isn't a neutral, but color-wise and location wise, I think it is.

Any other troubleshooting I can try?

Lutron Technical Support
    Please call our 24-hour Technical Support hotline at 1-800-523-9466 to troubleshoot this with one of our techs over the phone.

First of all you should contact and hire a qualified and licensed electrician for ALL electrical work. But if you feel up to doing your own work, what kind of bulb are you using exactly and how many? wattage? LED,CFL,Halogen, incandesent etc etc? I can refer to an issue similar to yours here with a client of mine which was also on a porch light and after troubleshooting I determined it was the bulb causing problems. It was a cheap LED and a combination of poor quality & not enough of a load (power used) were causing the problem. I removed the LED bulbs and replaced with better/more expensive incandesent bulbs that were a higher wattage. The LED's used 4 watts and the incandesents used 25. After swap was complete, the switch then worked as designed. Problem solved.

Lutron has a team of employees that is dedicated to testing LED bulbs and recording their performance when used in conjunction with all their lighting control systems (Caseta, Radio Ra2, & Homeworks) From there they compile a list of the bulbs that perform well enough for Lutron itself to approve of their use on those 3 product systems. This list is available on the Lutron website under "LED Compatability List"

- - - Updated - - -

First of all you should contact and hire a qualified and licensed electrician for ALL electrical work. But if you feel up to doing your own work, what kind of bulb are you using exactly and how many? wattage? LED,CFL,Halogen, incandesent etc etc? I can refer to an issue similar to yours here with a client of mine which was also on a porch light and after troubleshooting I determined it was the bulb causing problems. It was a cheap LED and a combination of poor quality & not enough of a load (power used) were causing the problem. I removed the LED bulbs and replaced with better/more expensive incandesent bulbs that were a higher wattage. The LED's used 4 watts and the incandesents used 25. After swap was complete, the switch then worked as designed. Problem solved.

Lutron has a team of employees that is dedicated to testing LED bulbs and recording their performance when used in conjunction with all their lighting control systems (Caseta, Radio Ra2, & Homeworks) From there they compile a list of the bulbs that perform well enough for Lutron itself to approve of their use on those 3 product systems. This list is available on the Lutron website under "LED Compatability List"