Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 Way Switch Help

Yes you need to buy maestro accessory dimmers which are also called remote dimmers or companion dimmers according to what flavor maestro you have (radio Ra2 and Homeworks QS also use them).

They look like they're regular Maestro dimmers except they don't have to LED indicators on them. It will also give you the ability to dim the lights from any location which you can't to do with manual switches.

2. Thanks Justin F. thanked for this post
    Likes Justin F. liked this post
    ahhhhh okay I got ya know. So I would need to replace the 3way and 4way switches with a maestro accessory dimmers?

4. Likes Justin F. liked this post
    Yup..they either have to be all mechanical or all smart. On the 4way you'll have one extra traveler than you have screws but remember that the blue screw are all on the same line so one will be in and one will be out. Just look at the diagram.

6. Thanks Justin F. thanked for this post
    fantastic! Thank you very much for the help. Much appreciated. Happy Holidays :)

8. Likes Justin F. liked this post
    Good luck and if you see weird wiring, call an electrician... preferably a Lutron certified one ;)

10. Thanks Justin F. thanked for this post
    4-way switches have four terminals each with two pairs of travelers (one set usually black and one set usually brass color). A four switch configuration will have two 3-way switches, one on each end and two 4-way switches in the middle.

12. Thanks Justin F. thanked for this post
    So 2 years later I came upon this post. I'm replacing a 4 way manual toggle set with a CL Maestro and 2 companions. My 4 way switch has 4 wires on the 4 terminals. 2 black on one side and 2 white on the other side. The 2 blacks are on the black terminal and on the bronze terminal, easy to know where they attach to the new switch.My question is about the 2 white wires, do I join them together and feed a white from them to the blue terminal on my new switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Kausali View Post
    So 2 years later I came upon this post. I'm replacing a 4 way manual toggle set with a CL Maestro and 2 companions. My 4 way switch has 4 wires on the 4 terminals. 2 black on one side and 2 white on the other side. The 2 blacks are on the black terminal and on the bronze terminal, easy to know where they attach to the new switch.My question is about the 2 white wires, do I join them together and feed a white from them to the blue terminal on my new switch?
    The basic wiring is power in on the black and out to the next device/load on the brass. Use the white as communication. At the 4-way you will have 2 whites so either tie them together and add a jumper to the blue terminal or push one in the back and wrap the other around the blue screw.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I am also having a problem with my Lutron Mastro 3-way dimmer. The power comes to the Lutron Mastro 3-way dimmer, then to a mechanical 4-way switch, then to a mechanical 3-way switch. When I turn off the LED lights at the Lutron Mastro 3-way dimmer, then try to turn on the lights at one of the other mechanical switches. I have to turn the mechanical switches more than one time to get the LED lights to turn on. If I am understanding correctly, I need to replace both the mechanical 4-way switch, and the mechanical 3-way switches with Lutron Mastro 3-way Companion dimmers. I assume that the wires connected from the blue terminals are all connected together. The mechanical 4-way switch was in the middle of this circuit. I would then connect the blue communicator terminals together for the Lutron Mastro 3-way dimmer and two Lutron Mastro 3-way companion dimmers. Do I also need to connect the traveler wires together to the Lutron Mastro 3-way dimmer and two Lutron Mastro 3-way companion dimmers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12