Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1 light/2 switches

1 light/2 switches

Hi,

I have been using an X-10 system for decades... yes, you read that correctly. Decades. I know I need to replace it since the modules don't work with LED bulbs.

I looked at Caseta for a specific application - 1 wall light (sconce) that I like to keep dimmed all night that has 2 switches. I DO NOT need to be able to dim the light from the switches. We never even touch them since they turn on at sunset and off at 11pm.

I'm very confused as to which products to buy. I looked at the starter kit, but it contains a dimmer wall switch and Lutron recommended I purchase a second one - either PD-10NXD or PD-6WCL, both of which cost nearly as much as the starter kit :)

Is there something else I'm missing? Is there another group of products I should look at besides Lutron?

Thanks!

Mary

Caseta will work. You need 2 pieces.

Smart Bridge - this is the controller, assigns addresses, has the astronomic clock, allows access from the app.
    Dimmer - this is the in-wall device that controls the power to the light so it can dim and be turned on/off.

Because your light is switched from 2 places, you can either replace the 2nd switch with a Pico remote (3rd device) or make it a dummy switch. Either way, you may need some electrical help.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

It's a 3-way circuit, so you could cap off the second location making it always "hot" and put a blank plate over it (assuming there's no code violation).

See page 5:
    http://www.casetawireless.com/Docume...ced%20Inst.pdf

The pico would be optional.

Thanks to both of you. We definitely would want to be able to use the second switch. While we rarely turn the lights on full, every now and then we do and it could be from either switch.

There is no functional switch that is compatible that just turns the lights on or off? We could put the dimmer switch on one of them, but would like to be able to use the other to turn the lights on/off. Then again, we could just use the app to do it, though I would prefer to have it functional.

Your first post said you never touch them. But I think you're only option with Caseta is to add a pico, so around $25 with the adapter that allows it to be mounted to the j-box.

RA2 has a remote dimmer (RD-RD-xx) that gets used in this situation which retails for $40.

Both the Caseta dimmer and Pico remote have separate on, off, raise, and lower buttons. The dimmer has LEDs that indicate the light level, the Pico does not. This may affect where you place which device. Additionally, both have to be within range of the Smart Bridge.

I was just looking at the specs. The Pro dimmer (PD-10NXD, not usually in the retail packages) will work with a mechanical 3-way switch. You would only need the bridge and the dimmer. The PD-10NXD is ~$25 more than the PD-6CL.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
    Hi,

I have been using an X-10 system for decades... yes, you read that correctly. Decades. I know I need to replace it since the modules don't work with LED bulbs.

I looked at Caseta for a specific application - 1 wall light (sconce) that I like to keep dimmed all night that has 2 switches. I DO NOT need to be able to dim the light from the switches. We never even touch them since they turn on at sunset and off at 11pm.

I'm very confused as to which products to buy. I looked at the starter kit, but it contains a dimmer wall switch and Lutron recommended I purchase a second one - either PD-10NXD or PD-6WCL, both of which cost nearly as much as the starter kit :)

Is there something else I'm missing? Is there another group of products I should look at besides Lutron?

Thanks!

Mary
    You already purchased the starter kit. You will also need the Wall Adapter for the Pico Remote PICO-WBX-ADAPT and two Decora style wall plates
    Install the Dimmer at one location and the Pico Remote at the other. The Pico Remote has a center button that will remember the dimming level, the dimmer does not, so decide which location is best for the Pico.
    The dimmer uses only two wires, the Pico use none. Originally they were 3-way switches. At the Dimmer location, connect the common wire to one wire on the dimmer, the other dimmer wire, splice it to the both Travelers. At the Pico Location splice all three together and fold them back into the box.

Install the dimmer, Install the Pico using the Wall Adapter Plate. It will take some time to figure out how to use the adapter. The Pico slides onto the Adapter plate.
    Turn the power back on. Plug the Hub into your router or Ethernet switch. Download the App, create an account. In the App hit Add Device, hold the bottom button on the dimmers for ten seconds, the App will recognize it. Name it. Do the same for the Pico. Using the same name for the Pico will pair it with the dimmer. Both should now work.

In the App, go to Schedule. create one for ON and set the dimmer level, Create a second schedule for OFF.