Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maestro Dimmer refuses to operate where other dimmers work fine

Maestro Dimmer refuses to operate where other dimmers work fine

Does anyone have a clue what my issue could be? Electricians and Support at Lutron have no answers. I have 3 rows of recessed ceiling lights in Living room. The dimmers were old and recently had them replaced with Maestros. The first two worked fine. The third one wouldn't turn on lights. We assumed at first that switch was just faulty. But then connected to another light switch, it worked fine. We also connected one of the adjoining new Lutrons that works on the other lights and it again did not work here. Then electrician brought in two other brands/styles of dimmer switches, they too worked fine. Touching bare wires turns the light on as well. So the electricity is there. Lights are working fine. But only this particular Lutron switch does not cooperate with this light. The old switch works, a plain on/off rocker switch works, other types of dimmers work, but a fully functional Lutron will not turn on the lights. All bulbs are same, halogen and the ceiling is high so no lights have been looked at as the source of an issue. Besides they all turn on so the issue doesn't appear to be in the lights themselves. HELP!

2. Thanks scooby thanked for this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Can you please provide the following information as this information will allow us to better assist you.

What is the make and model of one of the fixtures that is experiencing this issue?
    What is the model number of the Lutron Maestro dimmer that is being used?
    Do you know if the bulbs in this fixture are rated for 120V, 12V or 24V?

I am afraid I do not know the fixture information. They are recessed cans in the ceiling. (high ceiling as well) There are 12 of them in rows of 4. All same. All same bulbs. All halogen. They all work. They all light up as I stated below. Only the one set does not come on ONLY with the Lutron LA-600 Maestro. I did see a thread about programming a dimmer by on/off button and dim up until green LED's blink, then if middle LED is blinking to push the dim down once, and bottom LED will blink, then push On/Off once. But have no idea what unit these instructions are for and might it apply to mine? None of the other dimmers required such a procedure. I installed a total of 5 of them, the 6th being the one that isn't working.
    That being said, I just reached one of the lights in my kitchen which are the same. Pulled it down and can provide photo of label inside showing bulbs that can be used. Nothing unusual there and my bulbs are correct. If photo helps, give me em to send to.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig W. View Post
    Can you please provide the following information as this information will allow us to better assist you.

What is the make and model of one of the fixtures that is experiencing this issue?
    What is the model number of the Lutron Maestro dimmer that is being used?
    Do you know if the bulbs in this fixture are rated for 120V, 12V or 24V?

You can attach the picture to this post for us to look at. Also if there are multiple fixtures being controlled from this location that is experiencing this issue can you take out all of the bulbs except for in 1 fixture to see if you can control just 1 fixture?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switches.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	151
    Here are photos. As you can see the three out of four dimmers were replaced and all work fine. When any one of those three on the left are installed on the 4th switch, the lights do not operate. But when we installed that simple rocker switch it works. And it works with the old dimmer as well as other brands and types of dimmers. Only not working with this exact dimmer. The lights as you can see in second photo, are quite high. I can't reach to remove. The row on the far right that is off in the photo, is the row that is controlled by that 4th switch. Since I can not remove all but one light, I'd appreciate if you can share the thought process of what this would tell us if it worked with only one bulb installed? What would be the reason still that the issue is only present with this particular dimmer switch?

You can attach the picture to this post for us to look at. Also if there are multiple fixtures being controlled from this location that is experiencing this issue can you take out all of the bulbs except for in 1 fixture to see if you can control just 1 fixture?

Unfortunately what we would need at this time is all the information off of one of the bulbs that is not able to be controlled.

Unfortunately what we would need at this time is all the information off of one of the bulbs that is not able to be controlled.
    sorry, but that section of ceiling is very high. Would have to hire someone to bring tall ladder and not going to do that to look at bulbs that are all the same and all working with every other dimmer but yours. Logic would dictate that the bulbs are not the issue if all of them are the same. The first and second row are the same. I had two other dimmers installed that same day, operating the same kind of lights in my dining area. All of them work as well.

Unfortunately since there is just 1 set of lights that is not working we would need information from these fixtures and lights to see what is unique about these fixtures and/or bulbs compared to the other ones. As mentioned before besides the bulb information any information about the fixtures as well would be helpful. Also the model number of the dimmer that is not working.

Unfortunately since there is just 1 set of lights that is not working we would need information from these fixtures and lights to see what is unique about these fixtures and/or bulbs compared to the other ones. As mentioned before besides the bulb information any information about the fixtures as well would be helpful. Also the model number of the dimmer that is not working.
    sorry, but I've provided this information several times now. I contacted Lutron directly and had a lengthy exchange. I've gone into specific detail in prior msgs. and was hoping that someone in the forum would simply have had a similar experience and could shed light on what the possible issue is. I have a very good electrician who is completely puzzled by it. And the very point is that there is NOTHING unique about that set of light fixtures or the bulbs. Which is why they all turn on when the wires are touched at the main switch and turn on with every single type of dimmer we have tried. And turn on fine with a regular on/off switch which is on it now. ONLY don't turn on when the Mastro Lutron Dimmer is connected. And when same dimmer is connected to any of the other switches for adjacent ceiling lights, it works. I'm hopeful someone will have a possible solution.

Do the lights all share a common HOT wire? If so, what happens if you add the non working string of lights in parallel with a working string of lights (on the same dimmer, assuming it won't exceed max rating)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast