Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lights on delay with PD-6ANS-WH switch

Lights on delay with PD-6ANS-WH switch

I’m currently installing a new Caseta system, and have run into a problem. One switch, a PD-6ANS-WH, covers a circuit with two outdoor LED lights. Both of the bulbs (one Cree, one Ecosmart) are on Lutron’s supported LED list for dimmers. If the switch has been off for some time, the lights turn on nearly instantly when the switch is turned on. However, if the switch is turned off then on again it takes anywhere from 10-20 secconds (timed over several trials) for the lights to come on.

I’ve searched through the forums and haven’t come up with a definitive answer. The green LED on the switch appears to be operating normally, and the lights always do eventually light. AFAICT, this indicates against a miswiring situation. Any ideas?

Another development: I swapped out the LEDs with two Reveal 72W halogen bulbs (A19 “100W replacement” bulbs). They never turned on, even after an extended wait (a few minutes). The green LED on the switch did change states between bright/dim as you’d expect. Now I’m ... really confused.

Lutron Technical Support
    I'm assuming that you connected the switch's white wire to the neutral in the wall box.
    Have you tried swapping the red and black wires on the switch?
    As a test, can you try installing the PD-6ANS on a different circuit of lights, to see if it reacts differently?

If your switch has a black and red wire, the black has to be power in.

Is there a photocell and/or motion sensor in the circuit? If so, these act like a switch between the Caseta device and the load. Some photocells and motion sensors turn the lights on for the preset time when first turned on. Some have a "code" like on/off/on within 2 seconds to force the lights on.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for the assistance, all. Brian W's answer was it: the hot and load wires were swapped. With that fixed, the switch works as expected. I'm mostly just surprised that these symptoms weren't suggested in the basic troubleshooting info for the switch, either on the quick start insert or online.

Now I get to exchange a few PD-6ANS switches I bought for PD-5WS, since it turns out that the first switch replaced had a neutral wire in the box, but none of the rest do.

I run into this issue tonight and was able to resolve it thanks to this thread (swapping the red and black wires on the switch).Thank you for posting the solution!