Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is there any pitfall to using resistors in series AND parallel for an LED array?

Is there any pitfall to using resistors in series AND parallel for an LED array?

The first post.Having a little nervous.I'm understanding for series and parallel compensated resistance, however as my title I am confused that Is there any defect in series resistance and LED array parall.
    I've seen a lot on LEDs and series vs parallel resistor usage, but found nothing regarding the combination of both, so here goes.

I am working on a watch of sorts, that will work similar to a 7-segment display, where different LEDs are lit simultaneously depending on the driver's output (sometimes 2, sometimes all 7), so I will use that as an example.
    In order to conserve battery, I am looking to have a low brightness during "normal" operation, with a momentary high brightness option. Since this needs to be rather small to be wearable I am, of course, looking to minimize component count. Cost is relevant, but much less of a factor than attaining a small size that can be hand soldered.
    It is widely understood that running parallel LEDs on a single resistor is not the best approach, and I have allowed for a resistor-per-LED arrangement in my design, but I would like to be able to bypass SOME of the resistance temporarily.
    What I figured I could do is put the Resistor-LED series pairs in a parallel array that feeds to a single resistor with a bypass, as in this schematic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	691

So, the question: Would placing a single resistor in series with a parallel LED.html array be as bad if the LEDs also had dedicated series resistors, and if so, are there other alternatives for the dim/bright outcome I am looking for?
    Additional Info
    - I am planning on a 3v (2xAAA) battery source running LEDs with a Vf of 2-2.2.
    - Once I have my LEDs, I intend on testing different resistance values for brightness yield, but am hoping for around 2-4 and 7-10 mA for the low & high respectively.
    - The actual array will have 12 LEDs, with a maximum of 9 lit at one time.
    - There will be 4 "digit" arrays in total.
    - I am comfortable working with SOIC and 0805 (and some 0603) packages.
    - If there is a risk of (slightly) uneven brightness from one LED http://www.kynix.com/Detail/738157/LEDto the next, that will be ok, as it will give a "battle worn" look that will work with the design.

Thanks all advices.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg