Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: How many connect bridges for "inclusive" system with 2 main repeaters?

How many connect bridges for "inclusive" system with 2 main repeaters?

The subject pretty much asks the question. Do I need to get two connect bridges for a system with 2 main repeaters or can I get one and it's smart enough to find devices on both?

I'm going to be visiting one of my earlier Ra2 jobs in a couple of days where they have around 198 devices which let me tell you was an absolute NIGHTMARE with the early Ra2 software in 2011 and would take hours to upload a single program and stall and if I can figure out why a few of her Ra2 Dimmers aren't working anymore and can successfully update the firmware which was last updated 4 years ago, would like to offer them the option of getting one of these fancy gadgets so I want to make sure to know what's involved.

By the way, how is the RA2 software these days with handling a full bridged system? Do uploads still take 2-3 hours like they did in the past with massive number of errors randomly for no reason?

Last I uploaded a two main system that large, it only took about 10-15 minutes once the electrician got on the right network.

A single connect bridge can handle the twin mains, it has the capability to handle HWQS, which has a max device limit of 4096. We are all good there.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thanks for your response. Answers both questions! I just may get brave enough to update the system tomorrow...I have a feeling they had some power issues so hopefully it's just an electrical issue and nothing major with the system.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    Thanks for your response. Answers both questions! I just may get brave enough to update the system tomorrow...I have a feeling they had some power issues so hopefully it's just an electrical issue and nothing major with the system.
    Three rules of updating the firmware
    1) Hardwire
    2) Hardwire
    3) if you can't hardwire, then hardwire anyway.

May want to bring a switch or your own router that you can configure to the customer's ip address. Sometimes the customer's network is unreliable. And set the DHCP to diabled.

I know you know your stuff, but putting it out there for others.

5. Likes MitchE liked this post
    I have found problems with trying to skip too many software versions - as in it won't work. I usually jump 3 at the most so for a 4 year old system I would allow at least 1.5 - 2 hours and 5 versions or so. If you have good connection speeds at your office I would download a bunch of different versions so you are prepared once you arrive at the jobsite. Your job is not a single repeater, but I also will connect directly to the main repeater if it's a single repeater job.

7. Likes MitchE liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    Three rules of updating the firmware
    1) Hardwire
    2) Hardwire
    3) if you can't hardwire, then hardwire anyway.

May want to bring a switch or your own router that you can configure to the customer's ip address. Sometimes the customer's network is unreliable. And set the DHCP to diabled.

I know you know your stuff, but putting it out there for others.
    And because it can not be said enough hardwire, hardwire, don't even think of anything else;)

FYI- if you have a myLutron account, there is an archive of old software versions. May have to contact Tech to get the URL. I, for some unknown reason, have all the way back to 4.2.8. Too bad I didn't save 0.9.17.

Be glad we have the software we do now, sssoooooooo much better.