Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pico battery died, lights stuck on. Yes seriously.

Pico battery died, lights stuck on. Yes seriously.

Ready for a laugh? I literally cannot figure out how to turn off some lights in my house :) Now, I'm a fairly handy guy with plenty of common sense but this one has me fooled.

I recently purchased a home with an existing, moderately simple Lutron configuration. Here is the kitchen setup where I am hitting a snag.

1) LED cabinet strip - Connected to a Maestro plus a Pico remote dimmer synced to it. No problem, works great.
    2) Kitchen overhead halogens - Controlled via two Pico wireless remotes. The battery just died in the second remote and when this happens apparently you need to re sync when you replace the battery. I literally can't turn the lights off/on because I can't figure out where the remotes need to be synced to.
    3) Dining overhead incandescents - Controlled by two Pico wireless remotes. Battery still works in one of these, but I also can't figure out where they need to be synched.

You obviously can't help me trace the physical topology of my electronics but I'm hoping someone can help me with what to look for. I first thought maybe one of the Maestro switches in my house could control multiple "zones" of lights but don't see any hints to this in the Lutron install/user guides. Are there other devices besides an individual Maestro per light/circuit I should be considering? I don't have any fancy hubs/bridges or anything (at least not that I know of, and certainly nothing requiring home WiFi connectivity).

Thanks for any insight!

You have some "real" switches hidden somewhere. Look in a pantry, cabinet, or other accessible place. Do you have a basement? Maybe the real switches were placed there.

3. Thanks Delvis thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by davisadm View Post
    You have some "real" switches hidden somewhere. Look in a pantry, cabinet, or other accessible place. Do you have a basement? Maybe the real switches were placed there.
    Right that's the only thing I can think of. And if Pico's pair to them, they're within 30 feet of my kitchen so I know that much at least :) My wife thinks I'm crazy looking in cabinets, drawers, closets, it's quite the spectacle around here and I'm still looking.

Lutron has a ten year non-volatile memory. Just replace the battery. It should work fine without "re-sync-ing". You might check for a SmartBridge. If the SmartBridge has been removed, then the dimmer or switch will not receive the communication from the Pico.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

6. Thanks Delvis thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    Lutron has a ten year non-volatile memory. Just replace the battery. It should work fine without "re-sync-ing". You might check for a SmartBridge. If the SmartBridge has been removed, then the dimmer or switch will not receive the communication from the Pico.
    Initially just replacing the battery did not work but I just reset the breaker for the affected circuit and it seems to have fixed that. I still don't know where the physical device to sync to is, but at least I have 4 working Picos for the two sets of lights.