Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Caseta vs RA2 Select vs RA2

Caseta vs RA2 Select vs RA2

Hello all,
    i need some advice, i've done a lot of reading and research but the cost is something that i can't figure out.
    I live in Canada so the prices i refer to might sound a little high to some of you.

Here is where i am, I've just renovated my home and ran Cat6 cabling throughout the house into every single room with 2 to 8 outlets depending on the room, everything runs into my pantry for convenience.
    i own several SONOS amps and speakers along with a security system (cameras) and i'm having an alarm.com system installed which comes with the app for home control, i also have several Alexa dots and an Ecobee4 thermostat (with alexa integrated), i also only own apple products (iPhone, iPads and iMacs)

now to the fun stuff, i bought 2 caseta kits awhile back to start testing in and totally love the control, i have bought 3 low voltage lights a few months back and was told i needed special switches that cost 130$, so i now have 4 regular dimmers @ 70$ and 3 ELV @ 130$.

I had originally decided not to go crazy with the light control and to keep it in the bedrooms but like everything else in my home projects i got the F%#$ it's and now want it everywhere, i've also decided to integrate some lutron blinds in several rooms.
    i've read about the capacity limits for Caseta so my choices look to be keep going and buy a Homeseer device to incorporate another bridge or bite the bullet and take a loss on the equipment i already bought and move onto the RA2 select or RA2...so far so good.

what i can't figure out is the cost of the dimmers and components for RA2, while the caseta is 70$ for a dimmer with remote, I've seen on amazon the maestro dimmer from 25 to 60$...what is the typical cost of a Dimmer for RA2? then i see something called a digital dimmer? why would you get that vs the maestro dimmer and whats the cost?
    from what i've been told the RA2 select is aprox 350$ and the RA2 is 650$...is the only difference between the two 300$?
    i know the select is a lot simpler to install and for the RA2 i'm supposed to have a Lutron guy install it but i'm not a total newbie when it comes to this stuff...can i do the install myself for a RA2???

Any help is greatly appreciated.

In retail USD the Caseta 6CL dimmer is $72, the RR2 6CL is $149. You may be able to find them for less.

Lutron has several Maestro style controls (stand alone, IR, Wireless, RR2, RR2 select, HomeWorks). The $25-$60 device you saw was probably a stand alone Maestro (i.e. no interface for connecting to a system).

Homeseer may be able to directly control the Caseta & Serena devices without a Caseta hub. If so, it then the quantity becomes a Homeseer limitation. Homeseer may be able to control multiple Caseta hubs. There is no issue with having multiple Caseta systems in the same home.

RA2 Select offers the Maestro interface which I prefer over the Caseta. All of the RA2 Select devices could be moved to a full RA2 system. Full RR2 allows you to add full keypads.

If you are comfortable installing the Caseta devices you can install the RR2 devices. Lutron typically says you need a professional installer for devices that require a neutral connection or are >120v. RR2 can be programmed via button presses. It was a challenge with 32 devices. I can't imagine trying it with 100 devices. If you exceed 100 devices you will need the software. The software is only available to certified dealers.

Most dealers will want to supply the product. It may be difficult to find a programming only dealer.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    In retail USD the Caseta 6CL dimmer is $72, the RR2 6CL is $149. You may be able to find them for less.

Lutron has several Maestro style controls (stand alone, IR, Wireless, RR2, RR2 select, HomeWorks). The $25-$60 device you saw was probably a stand alone Maestro (i.e. no interface for connecting to a system).

Homeseer may be able to directly control the Caseta & Serena devices without a Caseta hub. If so, it then the quantity becomes a Homeseer limitation. Homeseer may be able to control multiple Caseta hubs. There is no issue with having multiple Caseta systems in the same home.

RA2 Select offers the Maestro interface which I prefer over the Caseta. All of the RA2 Select devices could be moved to a full RA2 system. Full RR2 allows you to add full keypads.

If you are comfortable installing the Caseta devices you can install the RR2 devices. Lutron typically says you need a professional installer for devices that require a neutral connection or are >120v. RR2 can be programmed via button presses. It was a challenge with 32 devices. I can't imagine trying it with 100 devices. If you exceed 100 devices you will need the software. The software is only available to certified dealers.

Most dealers will want to supply the product. It may be difficult to find a programming only dealer.
    Thanks randyc, you answered my questions perfectly, so basically Caseta is at least 1/2 the cost of RA2 select and RA2.
    Im very reluctant in getting anything that requires someone else to do the programming...that was exactly why I didn’t go with Control 4, I have a friend that has a Crestron and every time something doesn’t work he has to call « the guy » to fix it.

So it’s either Caseta with a third party app/hardware or RA2 select. If I intend in getting a third party app to control all my devices along with AV then i could probably still stick to the caseta since they could probably incorporate more than one hub.

ive been thinking of getting something like « simple control » to bring it all together with AV, any thoughts or suggestions on an app that does it all (lights, blinds, AV, Alexa).
    thanks.

Caseta or RR2/Select are mostly lighting programs. They do allow you some control of 3rd party devices, like thermostats, but it is pretty limited.

I have a customer that has an extensive Wink system. Wink talks directly to Caseta dimmers/switches and Serena shades (no Caseta hub required). They have a nice local touch panel (relay) but I don't care for the user interface. It seems very clumsy and "1st generation." I don't have much experience beyond that.

A lot of people in the industry are holding their breath waiting to see what Apple and its mountain of cash does. They have dipped their toe in the water with HomeKit. Being flush with cash they could cross over into manufacturing.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

5. Likes dvpvic liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Caseta or RR2/Select are mostly lighting programs. They do allow you some control of 3rd party devices, like thermostats, but it is pretty limited.

I have a customer that has an extensive Wink system. Wink talks directly to Caseta dimmers/switches and Serena shades (no Caseta hub required). They have a nice local touch panel (relay) but I don't care for the user interface. It seems very clumsy and "1st generation." I don't have much experience beyond that.

A lot of people in the industry are holding their breath waiting to see what Apple and its mountain of cash does. They have dipped their toe in the water with HomeKit. Being flush with cash they could cross over into manufacturing.
    thank you so much, i really appreciate your insight, i think that technology is moving at such a rapid pace and to dump a substantial amount of money into something that can/will change from one year to the next is not the brightest of ideas.
    i think the future is really DIY, it took me 3 months to teach my mother to use an iPhone yet i've never really taught my 8 and 11 year old but yet they intuitively know how to use such devices.

i'm going to stick with Caseta for now and i am convinced that in the not too distant future Lutron will merge the technology or risk loosing out to the next better mouse trap (the next logical step for Apple after the Homepod is lights and shades...so either they buy Lutron or run over them)

if you would have asked me 2 years ago if i would fully automate my home i would have said no way but today i can see myself doing it...imagine in 2 years from now!

And thanks for the tip on Wink i'll look into it.

Mike

One update to what RandyC said: Anyone can get access to the RadioRA Essentials software. All it requires is that you take a free, self-paced. online training class. It takes an afternoon.

8. Likes randyc liked this post