Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Add Switch to Bridge

Cannot Add Switch to Bridge

Just installed 3 more switches to my house. While two of he switches connected without any issue to the Smart Bridge, the last one is giving me a hard time. I have set the app to add a device and I press the off button for the 10 seconds until it starts blinking. So far all is good. It is blinking etc., but the app is not adding the switch. After about 30 seconds the blinking stops.
    I was hesitant to add the switches back there as there is a distance (close to the 30ft threshold) and "wall" issues between the bridge and the switches, but two out of three connect without any issue. Just the final switch is not working.

Is there anything else I can attempt? Is there a device count (max) for a bridge? Can I add multiple bridges?

Multiple Bridges is pretty much a no as far as a standard setup.
    Lutron makes a Lamp Dimmer Module that plugs into a standard wall outlet. The first one connected will act as an extender giving you and extra ~30ft from that device. So maybe you could install one between the Smart Bridge and the switch that will not connect.

Really surprised the distance limitation is getting you. Mine are at petty far distances and connected well.

The interesting part is that I have the caseta switches next to each other. 2 work and connect just fine, the third doesn't. That is what baffles me.
    Also have added a dimmer module as an range extender and can see this extender in the APP - still it will not connect to the APP.

Interesting behavior I noticed after I added the range extender:
    When I go into the "add device" mode the already added devices will start flashing. The new switch doesn't. It will flash/blink when I press the off button for the 10sec. Now the real interesting part is when I leave the "add device" mode the flashing/blinking will stop on all switches at the same time - also the one it doesn't find. It almost seems that it knows it is there, but somehow can't connect!?

Have you tried the factory default on the switch that is not responding?

Five taps on the off VERY fast, hold on last tap. Wait for dimmer to ramp up and down rapidly. Release the hold on the off button and immediately tap five times VERY fast again and let go completely. Dimmer should ramp up and down slowly. Then it will look like it is off or even weirder behavior as the dimmer's database resets. In about 20-30 seconds, dimmer should come back online and behave normally. Try and re-add.

The purists will say tap three times. I've walked hundreds through this over the phone. You will either tap twice then hold (not enough taps) or tap too slowly (you should complete the taps in under 1/2 second). Use the five and try it out. You can also call tech support and they will walk you through it over the phone.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Sounds to me like the switch has an issue. I think i would return and get another.
    I havent installed any of the switches yet. BUt i do have about 15 lamp modules in service and they worked quite well.

Have you killed power to the switch? Maybe drop power to it by flipping breaker for a minute or so. Maybe that would reset it.

Tried the various reset methods - 3 taps to 5 taps etc. Nothing helped. I think that there might be an issue with that particular switch. I guess I will get an replacement and go from there.

Generally I really like the Caseta System. It is working pretty well and is easy. In my old place i had the Belkin system which uses WIFI to connect. While you don't need a bridge unit, it caused me a multitude of issues and slow downs on the WIFI.

Quote Originally Posted by jbaude View Post
    Tried the various reset methods - 3 taps to 5 taps etc. Nothing helped. I think that there might be an issue with that particular switch. I guess I will get an replacement and go from there.
    Should be a warranty issue, yes. The few times a switch or dimmer displayed that behavior, it was taken care of.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

The replacement switch did fix the issue and I am very happy!

Nice! The hardware/software is really solid, figured it just had to be a faulty switch. About to have 3 Serena Shades installed today. Upgrading to a Smart Bridge Pro, so will have to setup everything else again, but its so simple no to worried about it!

Old thread I know - but I just had a 6ND that is doing the same thing. It controls the lighting load (5 LED cans) just fine, but won't "join" the hub or reset. I RMA'd it and have a new one on the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast