Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RA2 with SSR for Heating Control

RA2 with SSR for Heating Control

I understand that I can use a LMJ-5T in conjunction with a solid state relay to control an infrared heater. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of SSR to use? I have one 5000W Infratech heater but I cant see spending that kind of money on their controller. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticsn95 View Post
    I understand that I can use a LMJ-5T in conjunction with a solid state relay to control an infrared heater. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of SSR to use? I have one 5000W Infratech heater but I cant see spending that kind of money on their controller. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I would use the infratech controller. We've done it many times. It's rock solid. And UL listed. This is probably not the time to try and rig something together. Infratech worked for several years perfecting that and getting it right. We are dealing with a lot of power and heat. Getting it wrong could mean a serious injury or a leveled house. Not worth the $1500-2000 to get their Home Management Panel? I would counter not worth going out on your own and basically owning anything bad that could happen. The Infratech solution works, period.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Understood. I had just read a few things that indicated a different relay would work a little better so I thought I would ask.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticsn95 View Post
    Understood. I had just read a few things that indicated a different relay would work a little better so I thought I would ask.
    There are some weird limits that Lutron suggests, as well as a UL924 EM relay to ensure power cut off. See here: http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/An...aspx?annid=896

I believe the RIB relay ERSB would handle this extra function Lutron is asking for. We ran the LMJ5T without the relay and no changes to the limits and had no issues. Probably Lutron erring on the side of caution.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols