Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Alexa Issue

Alexa Issue

I have the Lutron Caseta lighting throughout my house. When I ask Alexa to turn on my kitchen lights, Alexa says, "a few things share that name, which one do you want". I have asked Alexa to turn on the kitchen lights in several different ways like Alexa "Turn on Kitchen Lights", "Turn on Kitchen Light", but I still get the same response. I have checked the app and the Kitchen says "Kitchen Light" in the app. I have reset the bridge and I have asked Alexa to do discovery. Nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated.

I am still having issue with using Alexa. I keep getting the response of..."a few things share that name, which one do you want". I have changed the names of the rooms to something completely different but I still get the message. I have a room label kitchen and then the lights for the kitchen are called pantry lights.

I have tried to name the lights something different then the room name. Does anyone else have this issue? How Can I fix this? Lutron really needs to fix this.

I had this problem at first, it turned out to be my naming convention. When Alexa discovers the device as a light, it is automatically assigned a light type, so when you name the lights in the Lutron app, don't add the word "light" at the end. (That was my first mistake.) Secondly, I made sure to group the switches by a room and not include the room name in the device names. In my case this was not a Lutron or Alexa issue, it was my naming conventions. My room is named kitchen, and the devices are put into that room and each has a unique name, island, cans, above cabinet and under cabinet. To turn on all the lights in the kitchen, I say "Alexa, turn on the kitchen lights" or to turn on and individual light, I say "Alexa, turn on the kitchen island light" and this works well. These align with the Lutron app and the Lutron skill in Alexa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lutron devices.jpg  

4. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Likes rhett7660 liked this post
    This still not working. Alexa and Siri they don’t recognize the ceiling fan and the ceiling fan lights. I have tried changing the names multiple times. All of my other Lutron lights are working. The ceiling fan is on an off/on switch and fan lights are on a dimmer switch. I can’t leave Lutron can’t fix the problem of naming lights. Like I can’t name the lights in the kitchen lights because Alexa says there other devices named kitchen but I don’t have any other devices named kitchen. Obviously the room is named kitchen. This has to be an issue for a lot people not just me.

Continuing what MattS said, they are trying to avoid you have to tell Alex to "Turn on the kitchen (room) kitchen lights (zone) lights (device) on."

I know you said you have no other devices in the kitchen but a Pico or a plug-in dimmer named kitchen would also cause confusion.

Also, other systems connected to Alexa that have something labeled kitchen could be causing an issue.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com