Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is single pole occupancy switch supposed to turn on by default when I switch breaker?

Is single pole occupancy switch supposed to turn on by default when I switch breaker?

I just installed an MS-OPS2H-WH switch. The light was on by default when I switched on the circuit breaker. Is this normal? I didn't want to try pressing the button because I blew a switch doing so yesterday, although that was a different problem. I called the technical support and he told me that this is a common problem with the ground, but I doubt it. My condo is built in San Jose in 2013 and the switch is on the ground floor. If I don't have a good ground, I doubt anyone does, unless my wires were not twisted together properly.

The other thing I'm concerned about is that I have 3 sets of black, white, and ground wires in my box. I know one of them is the load and one of them is the hot, but I'm not sure what the other one is. The only time I can detect a voltage with a non-contact detector on this wire is when I turn on a specific light in the room next door. Right now I'm connecting this 3rd black wire to hot and it doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on any lights, I'm just worried that something bad might happen when I press the button on the switch. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to how the original switch was wired so I don't have a reference. Is there anything I can do besides guessing and calling an electrician?

Did you ever figure out the problem? I'm having the same issue.

Hello lain11644,

Thank you for your post!

If the switch was unable to turn the lights on or off, it could be a grounding issue or a wiring issue.

The easiest way to determine this is to call into our Technical Support Line at 1-844-588-7661 with a multi meter in hand. By using a multi meter we can determine which wires are hot, neutral, and if your ground is good. If your ground is good, we can advise you over the phone how to properly wire. My name is Julia can you request me directly regarding this Forum.

Hope this helps!

As a commercial electrician, whenever we installed occupancy sensor switches in bathrooms and such this would be the case. Every time power is supplied to the switch it will turn on and wait whatever time it is programmed to then it will cut off and function as expected. If it does not function as expected, try taping over the motion sensor and waiting the programmed time to ensure nothing is triggering it to stay on. If that fails then the wiring or the device is bad.Hope this helps!