Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 1 new shade = 1 hour activating and a 45 minute upload

1 new shade = 1 hour activating and a 45 minute upload

Uploads are usually painful @ 20-30 minutes each but today was a record breaking 45 minutes before the upload completed. I actually took a photo of my phone timer just before it ended.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qs_hell.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	145

Any way to bring this down to 5 or 10 minutes? Or maybe just upload to the single shade i added? The anxiety involved with uploading has caused me great mental anguish. I don't know how much more of this cutting edge technology i can handle.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    What version of the HomeWorks QS software are you using? for the 6.x.x versions there are improvements on the transfers for the QS link as well as the option for a full transfer or only transferring when there are changes in the programming. As for the shade, was it a wired or RF shade?

If you are using the latest version of HomeWorks QS and transferred to a QS shade, we would recommend sending in a support file while connected to the system to hwsupport@lutron.com to further investigate this.

Quote Originally Posted by 39CentStamp View Post
    Uploads are usually painful @ 20-30 minutes each but today was a record breaking 45 minutes before the upload completed. I actually took a photo of my phone timer just before it ended.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qs_hell.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	145

Any way to bring this down to 5 or 10 minutes? Or maybe just upload to the single shade i added? The anxiety involved with uploading has caused me great mental anguish. I don't know how much more of this cutting edge technology i can handle.
    Hey I've been there done that. 6.1.0 transfers are faster, generally. My tips for faster uploads: use 'remote access' regardless of whether you are offsite or not. Plug in a lan cable directly to the processor. Shut off firewalls on your laptop. Disconnect 3rd party devices that might be trying to log in to your P6. Shut down your iphone LHC+ app if that has been configured to access this processor. I do these things because I think too much, not necessarily because they work. The general idea is transfers and activation can take a long time because 1- your pc is having a hard time with lan 2- other lan devices are getting in the way of transfers. In my worst case experience, an AV control system was frantically reconnecting to the lutron processor during uploads and activation and causing hours of failure. As soon as I unplugged the AV system from LAN, the problems went away and transfers were fast. Occasionally it seems like my PC is unhappy after many transfers. I have found that rebooting my PC improves things. When you are not transferring or activating, click on the design or programming tabs. They disconnect you from the processor, and the LHC+ app will be snappier.
    Please check in with Lutron Tech support, they can help you more than I can. I hope some of these tips help you feel more in control. I know that sinking feeling but since implementing these 'best-practices' I haven't had that kind of painfully long transfer, even with large systems.

4. Likes Kevin P. liked this post
    Thanks for the tips.

At this point i can live with the upload times. I can catch up with friends and family at facebook. The major issue now is that with every upload...one to five of the 250+ shades will fail during the upload and it wont work anymore. It can take 3 or 4 tries to get everything right. "retry failed devices" never works.

Can i just physically disconnect all of the shades during an upload and then reconnect them all once its finished? Would this allow them to continue working?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    If the shades used are QS wired shades, they can be disconnected and re-connected. When the shades are plugged back in, after a few minutes, the processor will automatically transfer presets and components to the shades. This will only occur if the serial number of the shade is saved in the project file so the processor will know what presets to send to what serial number.

For the transfer issues you are experiencing, we would recommend sending in a support file while connected to the system to hwsupport@lutron.com to further investigate this. Please refer to this forum post when you send it in.

7. Thanks xs10shl thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    If the shades used are QS wired shades, they can be disconnected and re-connected. When the shades are plugged back in, after a few minutes, the processor will automatically transfer presets and components to the shades. This will only occur if the serial number of the shade is saved in the project file so the processor will know what presets to send to what serial number.

For the transfer issues you are experiencing, we would recommend sending in a support file while connected to the system to hwsupport@lutron.com to further investigate this. Please refer to this forum post when you send it in.
    Thanks for the info. I will send the file to support tomorrow while connected.

Okay so you made a liar out of me. I was back out at nightmare upload project and low and behold my uploads are super fast. No more random failures. I am convinced that you guys sent a secret technician into my control room to change something because its night and day difference. Thanks.