Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Brand new to Lutron, Smart Bridge...trouble adding certain switches

Brand new to Lutron, Smart Bridge...trouble adding certain switches

Hello!

I just bought a home (2100sqft) with Lutron switches everywhere in the house. I bought a Smart Bridge, installed the Lutron app, set both up, and have had about 50% success getting my switches recognized and working in the app.

I'm learning as I'm going, and I'm a bit foggy on the difference between Caseta and Pico switches...as the ones pictured in the app with the center circle button are labled Pico, but in my house have Lutron stamped on them. I'm not sure if any of this relates to my trouble pairing switches, but I'll shoot pictures to help illustrate the problem.

The switches that I have successfully paired with the Smart Bridge look like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PD-10NXD-WH_hi__91220.1461255342.500.750.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	678

I've successfully reset them (triple-tap the top button, then do it again), connected them to the app (pressing the bottom button for 10 secs), and life is good! I can control the lights from my app with no problems.

The switches I'm having a problem with look like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_1.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	679

When I hold the bottom button for 10 secs, the app recognizes the switch as a Pico switch and connects to the switch (it seems). However, I can't contrl the lights. The switch shows in the app, but when I access that light from the app, I can't turn it on or off...the buttons do nothing.

Can anyone suggest what I might be dong wrong? Thanks so much.

You have to use the app to assign a Pico to your lights (the switches).

Quote Originally Posted by davisadm View Post
    You have to use the app to assign a Pico to your lights (the switches).
    Okay, and here is where I am ignorant. I've only had the house for a week, and just want to get my lights to work. What is a Pico? I thought that was the switch, no?

The Pico is the bottom picture, with the button in the middle. It is actually a remote and not hard wired. In your case it may be attached to the wall, and look like it is a built in switch. Since the Pico does show up in the app, you have to assign it to control one or more devices (lights). Open the app, go to DEVICES, select one of the PICOs. On the bottom, you will see "Edit Device", Select that. The next screen is where you will add the device or devices you want the PICO to control. On the first line is the name of the PICO. The second line "Room"is the physical location of the PICO. For functionality it does not matter what you specify here. The 3rd line "Lights, Shades and Audio" is where you specify what device or devices you want to control with that PICO. When you go there,you will see a list of all the devices (switches) you have added to your Smart Bridge. Select what you want to control, press the back arrow "<", and then press "Save". Repeat for each PICO.

That should do it.

5. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by davisadm View Post
    The Pico is the bottom picture, with the button in the middle. It is actually a remote and not hard wired. In your case it may be attached to the wall, and look like it is a built in switch. Since the Pico does show up in the app, you have to assign it to control one or more devices (lights). Open the app, go to DEVICES, select one of the PICOs. On the bottom, you will see "Edit Device", Select that. The next screen is where you will add the device or devices you want the PICO to control. On the first line is the name of the PICO. The second line "Room"is the physical location of the PICO. For functionality it does not matter what you specify here. The 3rd line "Lights, Shades and Audio" is where you specify what device or devices you want to control with that PICO. When you go there,you will see a list of all the devices (switches) you have added to your Smart Bridge. Select what you want to control, press the back arrow "<", and then press "Save". Repeat for each PICO.

That should do it.
    That is SO helpful. I never knew that the Picos on the wall were remotes...thought they were wired. I've got them working now! Thanks.