Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ketra API

Ketra API

We have recently run into a few projects that will be using Ketra “smart” light bulbs because of their color tunable white. We will be controlling them through a HWQS system. We attempted to use DMX on bench testing and it worked but not very smoothly and it wasn’t as intuitive as I would have liked it to be. I spoke with Ketra and they will be releasing a new version of their software that includes an API for Lutron control next week. I have never integrated into a system using an API. Would I set it up in the software as an Ethernet device and just simply control it as any other third party equipment or is there something else I need to know?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie631 View Post
    We have recently run into a few projects that will be using Ketra “smart” light bulbs because of their color tunable white. We will be controlling them through a HWQS system. We attempted to use DMX on bench testing and it worked but not very smoothly and it wasn’t as intuitive as I would have liked it to be. I spoke with Ketra and they will be releasing a new version of their software that includes an API for Lutron control next week. I have never integrated into a system using an API. Would I set it up in the software as an Ethernet device and just simply control it as any other third party equipment or is there something else I need to know?

Thanks in advance.
    Thank you for reporting back on your experience with DMX control.
    We've been contracted to program a Homeworks system that will be sending DMX commands to a Ketra system. I have heard that the Ketra programmers have to spend a fair amount time during their setup programming on site to make the Ketra system receive Lutron DMX input properly- maybe this is part of the problem you're seeing.
    Are you the Ketra programmer as well, or are you using a Ketra Rep to set up the lights?

I've also heard Ketra Sales Reps say that in light of Lutron DMX <> Ketra funkiness they recommend using 0-10v inputs and Contact Closure for newer jobs.

To be quite frank, I'm expecting that the Ketra setup process on my upcoming job will be another one-off solution. It sounds like Ketra is updating things often enough that each job gets a new solution for integration with Lutron.

Sorry I don't have a solution to your question- it sounds like you should contact Ketra tech support to learn more about how they expect the API to work with Lutron.