Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MAELV-600 Dimmer Causing LED Recessed to Flash On/Off at Full Intensity

MAELV-600 Dimmer Causing LED Recessed to Flash On/Off at Full Intensity

Originally I had 16 generic LED recessed lights (https://www.amazon.com/B-right-Ultra...015SD57RY?th=1) controlled by a MA-600 and two Companion Dimmers. Everything worked fine except all of the transformers had a slight buzzing I could hear when the room was quiet.

Over time this bothered me more and more, I researched and found that the MAELV-600 will often solve the buzzing issue.

So I replaced the MA-600 with the MAELV-600 (with some adjustment to the wiring configuration) and success! no more buzzing. However when I turn the lights near full intensity the lights begin flashing on and off and the LED indicators on the side of the dimmer cycle rapidly. I adjusted the upper and lower trim settings but to no avail. Help please?

Administrator
    Hello decent dan,

The link you provided didn't work, so I am not sure what LEDs you are using. In order for us to see if we can come up with a solution for you, we would need the model number of the LEDs and transformer being used in the circuit.

Product information 12W , 3000K
    Brand B-right
    Part Number ML-D080*R*5
    Item Weight 3.6 pounds
    Package Dimensions 8.3 x 8.1 x 7.4 inches
    Style Modern
    Color 3000K
    Shape Circle
    Material Aluminum
    Finish Cast
    Included Components LED driver included
    Voltage 110 volts
    Fixture Features Dimmable function, Using SMD2835 LED chip, long lifetime, CRI>80, low light decay, Eye protection, Shock and vibration resistant
    Power Source Corded-Electric
    Batteries Included? No
    Batteries Required? No
    Type of Bulb LED
    Luminous Flux 850 lm
    Wattage 12.00
    Color Temperature 3000 Kelvin
    Average Life 50000 hours
    Average Life 50000 hours
    Additional Information
    ASIN: B015SD57RY
    Customer Reviews: 4.3 out of 5 stars 82Reviews
    Best Sellers Rank: 198042
    Shipping Weight: 3.6 pounds
    Date First Available: March 21, 2016

Pic of the back of the light and transformer
    https://imgur.com/gallery/aS3VM

Jai H. Does the above help? I need some advice.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by decent dan View Post
    Jai H. Does the above help? I need some advice.
    Well, it does help us determine that the driver is looking for a triac, or forward phase, dimmer. Unfortunately, the MAELV-600 does not use a triac, and is a reverse phase dimmer. This is likely causing the problem you are having.

Lutron has not tested the LED driver you have, so there is no way to guarantee performance with any of our dimmers. If possible, we would recommend reaching out to the driver manufacturer to see if they can recommend a specific dimmer.

The MA-600 you had before was a triac dimmer, but are generally more prone to buzzing than reverse phase, or ELV dimmers. If you want to do some trial and error testing on your own, you could try the MACL-153M which has added circuitry to help with buzzing as opposed to the MA-600. If you have a neutral in the walbox, you could try the MRF2-6ND. Both of these controls will work with the companions that you already have in place. Please note, that these are only suggestions to try. We have not tested, and cannot guarantee they will work any better that what you have already tried.

Thanks for your reply. Upon a second inspection I actually started with the MACL-153M, not the MA-600. Would you still recommend trying the MRF2-6ND?

Hello decent dan,

Our apologies for the delay in the response.

You can absolutely try the neutral based dimmer, however the model number you have (MRF2-6ND) has since been replaced with the model MRF2S-6ND-120. Again this is not guaranteed to resolve your issue but something you may try.

Additionally, I see you are using a retrofit downlight, we do extensive compatibility testing with retrofit downlights and you can find compatible downlights for Maestro LED rated dimmers at www.lutron.com/ledtool. This tool provides a Product Report Card, which will directly state if buzzing was noticed during testing. This would guarantee a solution free from buzz for your application.

Hope this helps!