Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New RRD-6ND?

Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    A little bit of time has gone by here. What has people's experience been for the 6ND? I've got a big job coming up and thing the 6ND should be the go to, but I'm curious before getting the first batch.
    From what I understand, you'll need the 12.0 software. For reliability, I wouldn't worry at all. The MRF2-6ND-120-WH has been around for about 7-8 years and has been rock solid reliable. It's the base, just change the chip-set to RA2 and viola! New RA2 dimmer.

Side note- the $140 price tag let's Essentials users use 6x the 6ND at $840 to match the WPM for the Inclusive at $840. I would love to see some new feature set (probably not going to happen) or a lower price for the Inclusive users on the WPM. Maybe a percentage bonus on the LutronPRO program for those advanced users/devices could be in order.
    Last edited by SDR-Mike; 12-18-2017 at 11:05 AM. Reason: darn double post again
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Just ordered a couple today. Will see how they work out

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    From what I understand, you'll need the 12.0 software. For reliability, I wouldn't worry at all. The MRF2-6ND-120-WH has been around for about 7-8 years and has been rock solid reliable. It's the base, just change the chip-set to RA2 and viola! New RA2 dimmer.

Side note- the $140 price tag let's Essentials users use 6x the 6ND at $840 to match the WPM for the Inclusive at $840. I would love to see some new feature set (probably not going to happen) or a lower price for the Inclusive users on the WPM. Maybe a percentage bonus on the LutronPRO program for those advanced users/devices could be in order.
    How do you change the chip set?

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoaster View Post
    How do you change the chip set?
    You can't. He's referring to the fact that all Maestro dimmers are basically the same device. With no interface it is a stand-alone Maestro. Add one radio and it is Maestro Wireless. Add a different radio and it is RR2/R2S. I have experienced slight variations in performance of the dimmer between families. Nothing serious.

Any device with a neutral connection is going to out perform it's non-neutral counterpart. There is a little extra time to connect the neutral but worth the effort.

For incandescent loads I would use the 6ND. Less expensive, neutral connection.
    For MLV loads I would use the 6ND. Lutron says don't use 6CL any more.
    For ELV loads I would use the 6NA.

I believe the 6CL will continue to be available because it is a great product for the retail environment.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thank you for the quick and thorough reply

It doesn't look like the documentation (installation instructions) has been updated to reflect the existence of the RRD-6ND:

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...stallation.pdf

Without having my hands on a 6ND yet - does anyone know if derating is required when installing multiple 6ND's side by side? Are there tabs that need to be broken off?

LollerAgent- no tabs to break off that I am aware of. Yes, you need to de-rate if ganged together- 600/500/400. See here: https://reader.mediawiremobile.com/L...iewer?page=252

Should be your new go-to dimmer. Spec the 10ND/6NA to ensure you're covered cost wise, run 6ND when you can, which is most loads now.

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    LollerAgent- no tabs to break off that I am aware of. Yes, you need to de-rate if ganged together- 600/500/400. See here: https://reader.mediawiremobile.com/L...iewer?page=252

Should be your new go-to dimmer. Spec the 10ND/6NA to ensure you're covered cost wise, run 6ND when you can, which is most loads now.
    Mike - so nothing special to do (or break off, etc) when de-rating them? They are simply de-rated because they are being placed next to each other? Sorry for the dumb question!

Quote Originally Posted by LollerAgent View Post
    Mike - so nothing special to do (or break off, etc) when de-rating them? They are simply de-rated because they are being placed next to each other? Sorry for the dumb question!
    Correct. The decrease in back box space allows better heat dissipation. No de-rate needed for single gang installs. De-rate as before when ganged together. Easier installs with no fins to break.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123