Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Caseta Wireless and installing a ceiling fan

Caseta Wireless and installing a ceiling fan

I have my home switched over to caseta wireless switches, which I love. I have no neutral in any of my switches, so the caseta wireless dimmer switches work great for me, and I have installed them all over my house, wired into LED lights.

I'd like to switch out my ceiling lights in my office and bedroom with a ceiling fan/light combo in each. Can I use my existing switches for this purpose? or is there a better switch for these to control fan speed, too?

Thanks

There is no Caseta fan speed control. No plans on one in the future, either. Lutron suggests a Homekit enabled fan.

This is a big bone of contention for the people who support Caseta.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

3. Thanks nyc2pdx thanked for this post
    Likes rhett7660, randyc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    There is no Caseta fan speed control. No plans on one in the future, either. Lutron suggests a Homekit enabled fan.

This is a big bone of contention for the people who support Caseta.
    Will my current caseta dimmer switch work with a run of the mill ceiling fan with light? I guess I would have to use the fan controls to control speed, etc...

It should, but you can't gaurantee the state the fan will take when the Caseta turns on. If the fan has integrated controls, you may want to just run those. Will it turn on to last state or off? You'll have to try it out. If it's a pull chain fan, then it will return to last state.

In short, you can always ensure the fan is off with Caseta, but when Caseta is on- who knows?
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

6. Thanks nyc2pdx thanked for this post
    Please let me know what happens to the fan when you install the caseta switch. I have 2 Fanimation Studio Collection Slinger v2 72inch fans.

Hey guys, similar scenario. I have replaced all my light switches with Caseta wireless and love it. I do have two room with fan/light combos. Does lutron ever plan on having a caseta integrated fan/light control? I don't mind waiting if this is on the roadmap within the next 6 months. I don't want to go out and buy another fan/light combo, and I don't want to start another smart bridge network just to solve fans (buying another hub, and z-wave switches). Do you have any other suggestions? Im using Google Home for the integration point. Already bought a few cheap desk lamp switches, so I am OK using iFTTT if there is a similar approach.

Thanks!

celing fan with Caseta dimmer switxh makes humming noise

I have celling fan (no ligh) and tried to use Lutron Caseta switch with dimmer. It works and I can control it with Siri and HomePod which is awesome, for example “Hey siri set fan to 50%” and it sats it to half of its full speed. Can turn it off too etc.
    However the fan motors makes wired humming noise. So something ia not right with the load i pressume. I dont have neutral wite in my house. Any idea how to fix it. I worry it will burn the motor or overheat it. For now i put old multi stage fan switch.

Any suggestion is greaty appreciated

@AcoCoa
    That humming sound you hear means the motor is not being driven properly and you indeed may burn out the motor, the controller, or worse. Regular dimmers are meant for straight resistive loads, not inductive loads like motors.

The good news is that Lutron just released a DEDICATED FAN CONTROLLER!
    The bad news is that it only controls the fan, not a fan+light combo like we have.

For years, I've wanted to hack together a connected 'bridge' from the fan RF remote to HomeKit to Lutron but now there is a consumer solution - the Bond Remote - I hope it gets an update to support Lutron directly.