Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does RA2 Select fix Caseta's lack of upgrade path?

Does RA2 Select fix Caseta's lack of upgrade path?

Hi,

I know many of us have homes where Caseta systems have expanded past 50 devices, and had a poor experience where various Caseta scenarios stop working well with two Caseta hubs.

As I understand that RA2 Select is going more down market into Caseta's space, I'm wondering if this is going to provide an out for those who've organically invested in Caseta over time, but haven't had any supported way to stay with Lutron past 50 devices (other than "rip and replace" everything, which is obviously not a real solution.)

Does anyone know if Lutron has fixed this so Caseta users can somehow convert into RA2 Select? Even if by paying extra if necessary?

Specifically, can any Caseta dimmers be now paired with the RA2 Select? For example, the PD-5NE is a nice high end Caseta dimmer-- can it be paired with RA2 Select?

How about customers who've invested in Serena Shades? Can these now be paired with RA2 Select?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the RA2Select platform does not have an upgrade from Caseta pathway. It also does not have a path to upgrade to RadioRA2, but the devices can be reused. This includes the shades. The hope is that RA2Select will handle most of what people were asking for, and if you need to swap for the traditional main repeater, you can catch it early enough as to not waste too much time in the Select world.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

It is *disappointing* (to put it kindly) that Lutron product lineup has essentially stranded Caseta customers. Going forward there should be few reasons to ever buy Caseta, only RA2 Select.

Those who bought into, and continued to invest in Caseta got left out in the cold, and they'll never be able to continue using their investment at larger scale. I wish this were clearer those in the home depot aisle buying their first Caseta system.

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    [RA2Select] also does not have a path to upgrade to RadioRA2, but the devices can be reused. This includes the shades.
    As a small aside, I'd argue that if the devices and shades can be re-used from RA2Select in an upgrade to full RR2 it's definitely a real upgrade path if (as I understand) you just replace the head unit with an RR2 version.

It's the switches and shades where customers invest their time and money. Why Lutron wouldn't not also build a head unit to grow from Caseta to RA2Select or RR2 is mind-blowing.

It also does not have a path to upgrade to RadioRA2, but the devices can be reused. This includes the shades.
    CaliforniaGuy is correct. RA2 Select is easily upgradable to Radio RA2. You would have to replace the RA2 SELECT MAIN REPEATER with the RADIO RA2 MAIN REPEATER and the RA2 SELECT WIRELESS REPEATER (if any) with the RADIO RA2 AUXILIARY REPEATER. Dimmers, switches and shades stay the same. That is it, you have now upgraded to Radio RA 2! Plus you can add additional features that Radip RA 2 has.

It was my understanding from the Lutron PRO event at CEDIA that the new Select Wireless repeaters will still work with the older RR-MAIN-REP-WH. While still a better option on the upgrade, try explaining to your customer with 70 devices he now has to pay for a reprogram that will take several hours to two days, when the initial system was set up in under an hour? And now the customer cannot easily add more, but call the programmer? Don't get me wrong, I've made some good money programming RA2. Just looking at it from the customers' perspective. We as designers and programmers will have to do a better job of selling the differences, and know when to push one way or the other with our clients.

As far as Caseta goes, it was always intended as a DIY level system. We need to educate the customers on this fact.

It was my understanding from the Lutron PRO event at CEDIA that the new Select Wireless repeaters will still work with the older RR-MAIN-REP-WH.
    I was not aware of this! I asked a Lutron rep about that and he said he did not think the Select repeater didn't work with Radio RA2. RA2 Select was just introduced and probably not all reps have an understanding of it all. RA2 Select should be out by the end of the month, and then we can play with it!

Correction:
    I was not aware of this! I asked a Lutron rep about that and he said he did not think the Select repeater worked with Radio RA2. RA2 Select was just introduced and probably not all reps have an understanding of it all. RA2 Select should be out by the end of the month, and then we can play with it!

Quote Originally Posted by davisadm View Post
    Correction:
    I was not aware of this! I asked a Lutron rep about that and he said he did not think the Select repeater worked with Radio RA2. RA2 Select was just introduced and probably not all reps have an understanding of it all. RA2 Select should be out by the end of the month, and then we can play with it!
    Checked in with my Lutron Regional, yes the new wireless repeater will work with standard RadioRA2.

Checked in with my Lutron Regional, yes the new wireless repeater will work with standard RadioRA2.
    Good to know! I wonder if the new repeater will replace the RADIO RA2 AUXILIARY REPEATER? I will have to talk with my rep and get the details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast