Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partitioning in HomeWorksQS

Authorized Lutron Contributor

Post Partitioning in HomeWorksQS

We received this question from a customer and thought other might be interested in this topic...

How can you do partition control in HomeWorks QS? I have 2 partition walls separating 3 areas. When all the walls are closed I want the keypads in the separate areas to only control that area but when any of the partition walls are open I want all the keypads in the now open area to control the entire open space.

2. Likes LightBrigade liked this post
    This is possible using the "partitioning" feature in the HomeWorks QS software.

Requirements
    There are a few requirements to allow the use of partitioning:
    1. "Area Scenes" are programmed to the devices (keypads) within the partitioned room
    2. The area has at least two child areas specified in the software
      • For example, in a project file, there is specified a parent area called "Ballrooms" and child areas called "Ballroom A" and "Ballroom B"

3. A partition control is specified in the project file
      • For example, a sensor that monitors the physical partition wall is wired to a CCI of a QSE-IO.

Create the Partition
    To begin, navigate to "design controls" in the project file and left-click on the parent area name on the left-hand pane (in the example, "Ballrooms"). Then towards the center of the screen, select the "Add Partition Wall" option. Select the Main Area and the Adjacent Area (Ballroom A and Ballroom B, respectively in the example).

Assign the Partition to the Control
    In the "program devices" tab, navigate to the device that will be control the virtual "state" of the partition. In the example, I've used CCI 1. Select the CCI. Then select "Partition Walls" from the "Show All" drop-down. Check off the Partition Wall and select a setting. In my example, I've programmed the processor to understand the wall is closed when the QSE-IO's CCI 1 is closed. Likewise, the open-state of the CCI is programmed to change the virtual partition wall's state to "Open".

Lastly, transfer the updated program to the system.

The buttons in the space programmed with area scenes will now control both partition areas when the partition wall is closed and only the location they are located when the partition wall is open.
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. Likes Craig W., Matt@ADG liked this post
    This information could be useful when designing a HomeWorks QS system with partitioning:

At this point, each area has a maximum of 16 area scenes. If your programming would require more scenes that these, conditional programming should be used along with shared scenes. At this point, there is no discernible limit on shared scenes. You may have a conditional statement resembling:

If Partition AB open
    Run scene AB
    Else
    Run Scene A
    Last edited by Ty W.; 08-29-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Partitioning in Homeworks QS

Quote Originally Posted by Ty W. View Post
    This is possible using the "partitioning" feature in the HomeWorks QS software.

Requirements
    There are a few requirements to allow the use of partitioning:
    1. "Area Scenes" are programmed to the devices (keypads) within the partitioned room
    2. The area has at least two child areas specified in the software
      • For example, in a project file, there is specified a parent area called "Ballrooms" and child areas called "Ballroom A" and "Ballroom B"

3. A partition control is specified in the project file
      • For example, a sensor that monitors the physical partition wall is wired to a CCI of a QSE-IO.

Create the Partition
    To begin, navigate to "design controls" in the project file and left-click on the parent area name on the left-hand pane (in the example, "Ballrooms"). Then towards the center of the screen, select the "Add Partition Wall" option. Select the Main Area and the Adjacent Area (Ballroom A and Ballroom B, respectively in the example).

Assign the Partition to the Control
    In the "program devices" tab, navigate to the device that will be control the virtual "state" of the partition. In the example, I've used CCI 1. Select the CCI. Then select "Partition Walls" from the "Show All" drop-down. Check off the Partition Wall and select a setting. In my example, I've programmed the processor to understand the wall is closed when the QSE-IO's CCI 1 is closed. Likewise, the open-state of the CCI is programmed to change the virtual partition wall's state to "Open".

Lastly, transfer the updated program to the system.

The buttons in the space programmed with area scenes will now control both partition areas when the partition wall is closed and only the location they are located when the partition wall is open.
    Sorry I'm a little late to the discussion here! Can you post an example lutx showing more than two partitions? I have an upcoming commission where I have 2 partition walls (3 rooms). Also can a qse-io be used with a partition switch which is integrated with the partition removing the need for the partition sensors?

Thanks in advance

Attached is a project file using partitioning that has 3 rooms and 2 walls. Any device that provides a dry contact closure can be used to detect if the partitions are opened or closed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. Thanks markmccavitt thanked for this post
    Likes Armando B. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig W. View Post
    Attached is a project file using partitioning that has 3 rooms and 2 walls. Any device that provides a dry contact closure can be used to detect if the partitions are opened or closed.
    That's very helpful. All makes sense now. Thanks

A rookie question. How do I create area scenes?

jwbcinergy,

You would go to the program tab, then using the drop down arrow, select "area scenes".

Guys. I'm now at commissioning stage and cannot get the partitioning to work. Could I email one of you my database so you can hopefully see where I might be going wrong with this? Many thanks in advance.

Please send your project file to hwsupport@lutron.com, reference this forum post, and provide a detailed description of the issues you are experiencing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast