Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lights in bedrooms flickering or turning off and on

Lights in bedrooms flickering or turning off and on

New to the forum.

I just installed the Caseta PD-6WCL dimmers in the living room (2 sets of lights with Pico remotes installed at 2nd switch), 1 in the MBR (with Pico remote installed at 2nd switch) and one in each of my kids rooms (single switch in each room).

I have retrofit EcoSmart LEDs in both living room areas and MBR (all are cans). My son has a flush mounted light that listed on the box compatibility with Caseta dimmer and my daughter has a chandelier with LED bulbs, not sure on compatibility.

When we turn the lights on in the MBR (5 recessed lights) they will sometimes turn off, then on again. They flash like that several times but not constantly. When this is happening the lights in my kids' rooms will flicker. The 3 rooms are on the same circuit.

Before I switched the dimmer the lights in the MBR would flicker sometimes but not go completely off. I wrote it off to a bad dimmer which I replaced with the Caseta.

I called an electrician and he checked the wiring on the switches, the circuit breaker and found nothing wrong. He said it might be an incompatibility with the retrofit LEDs. I pointed out that there were the exact same switches and LEDs in the living room (4 in one area and 6 in another).

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

I'm quite confident that the light bulbs in the MBR are not compatible. I've had situations where the exact same thing occurred, and once the bulbs where swapped out, it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by davisadm View Post
    I'm quite confident that the light bulbs in the MBR are not compatible. I've had situations where the exact same thing occurred, and once the bulbs where swapped out, it worked fine.
    Thanks for the help. The lights in the bedroom are the same as the ones in the living room. We have 2 Caseta dimmers in the living room (1 has 4 lights, the other has 6). The bedroom has 5 lights. Same retrofit LED bulbs, same Caseta dimmers, no issues in the living room. That's why I'm thinking it might not be an incompatibility.

From other threads I believe you need LUT-MLC for each dimmer. Platt dot com has them for a reasonable price plus tax and shipping. Much better than the price you will see on Amazon

Update: I bought compatible LEDs for the bedroom lights and their still flashing. Will the LUT-MLC wired into the switch box with the dimmer help??

Quote Originally Posted by stuartm10 View Post
    Update: I bought compatible LEDs for the bedroom lights and their still flashing. Will the LUT-MLC wired into the switch box with the dimmer help??
    It is supposed to but it didn't work for me :/

Lutron Technical Support
    We've seen instances where even using the LUT-MLC doesn't fix the issue. Have you tried using the neutral-based phase-selectable Caseta dimmer instead? (Model number PD-5NE.)