Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 8ANS for low voltage fireplace control?

8ANS for low voltage fireplace control?

Hi-

I've seen several posts where people have used 8ANS switches for switching a fireplace on/off. This is exactly what I did on a fireplace that has a 120V switch. I have a situation with a different fireplace that's using low voltage to turn the fireplace on/off. Basically, the power from the low voltage transformer is routed through a standard wall switch. When the switch is turned on, current flows through the wall switch, and turns on the fireplace.

I know that I could use a VCRX, with contact closures, but it wouldn't allow me to control the fireplace if the wall switch was switched on (it would override the VCRX).

I'd like to replace the wall switch with an 8ANS if possible, but there's no neutral in the box since it's not a high-voltage load. Is there a way to make this work with an 8ANS? The switch location is on the same wall as the fireplace, so I could fish wires if necessary.

Thanks,
    Derek

I just rigged up one of the plug in switches (RRD-15APS-1) to my own relay down by the fireplace controls (leaving the wall box unused) and that works fine. I did see this relay switch though that might work and be a little cleaner - do a search for LMJ?16R?DV?B and ask the experts if that will work. I'm not a huge fan of the VCRX for these types of applications - too expensive, and too much usage of I/O on the repeater. I don't know if this thing is SS or dry contacts or what - so you'll have to find out what kind of wiring would be needed to use both a remote switch as well as the wallbox switch at the same time. Personally, if I were to do this - I'd just do the plug in switch with relay or the relay switch I just showed you - and then put a pico on the wall for local control. I'm pretty sure the custom plug in switch and relay would work with the pico - not sure about the LMJ-16R-DV-B. I don't have either one.

We typically use the RRD-8ANS with a small relay for this. Though without a neutral you need the RRD-8S-DV (+relay).

Likewise you can use the VCRX and use a PICO or Keypad in place of the Switch.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Currently the Pico cannot be programmed to control the contact closure outputs on the VCRX.

Has anyone used an indoor 8ANS to activate an outdoor gas fireplace?