Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HWQS or RadioRA2

HWQS or RadioRA2

I have a small church lighting renovation project. The church has old 2 wire electrical. The client is cost conscious asking for minimal rewiring / destruction / downtime so I proposed RAdioRA2 using scenes and timeclock.

The project is in the bidding phase and one electrical contractor shared the following comment :

“The control system specified is Lutron Radio RA. I am very familiar with this product and for your project I would highly recommend using Lutron Homeworks QS. The QS processor is a bit more robust than RA2 and has several additional features that will make programs better suited and adaptable to your current and future needs. You will be making a substantial investment here and the additional cost of using QS will be negligible.”

I’d appreciate very much of your experience on the pros and cons of using RadioRA2 vs Homework QS for a retrofit renovation project.

We only need one main repeater and one auxiliary repeater to cover the entire church. Less than 30 devices total.

It doesn't seem like you need conditional logic or advanced button models. HQS has more options for controls (RPMs) and keypad options but that doesn't seem to be an issue either. The HQS processor is more powerful but if you are not using those features it isn't worth it.

The cost is not "negligible." A HQS processor, panel, power supply and 2 repeaters is $2750 (retail) compared to $798 for the RR2 main & aux repeater. Devices are about 35% more. Programming is slightly easier but will never make up the price difference.

I start looking at HomeWorks if:
    I need a 2nd main repeater (number of devices).
    It is new construction and we can do RPMs (reduced wall clutter)
    They need/want special timed events (based on a calendar)
    They need/want special button programming (conditional, manual sequence, automatic sequence)
    They need/want special keypads (pallaiom, signature, etc.)
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

4. Likes yvonne liked this post
    Thanks so much Randy. Your list is very comprehensive and helpful.

Isn't it also true that, with a centralized system, they may be prepared in 10 – 15 years or so to do some major upgrade because that processor will go out, sooner or later? My understanding is that that they can be asked to upgrade to a new panel system if the current panel processor is discontinued by then.

For this project, I specified a few RF modules to reduce wall clutter and timeclock to turn on occ sensers after hours. Also a holiday button to apply an alternative timeclock schedule as a workaround for lacking calendar timed events. There are 5 scenes and 5 toggles as add-ons on the main keypads to cover church events. I can see the advantages of having HQS calendar timed events and conditional programming.

Yes and no.
    You could upgrade Original HW to HW Interactive by replacing the processor(s). You could upgrade HW Interactive to HW Illumination by replacing the processor(s). All of the previous products were compatible with the upgrade. HQS broke the chain. You can still use the same RPMs but dimmers and keypads require some hoop jumping. I can't say if the next generation of HW will be compatible with HQS.
    However, RadioRA went through a similar process. There was a major update to RadioRA (now Classic RR) around 2000. It still maintained compatibility with existing RR devices. RR2 is not compatible with any Classic RR components. Again, I can't say if the next generation of RR will be compatible with RR2.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Hey there! It sounds like you're working on an interesting lighting renovation project for a church, and it's great that you're looking into different options to meet your client's needs.

It's always helpful to get feedback from professionals in the field, like the electrical contractor who recommended Lutron Homeworks QS. It's good to know that the QS processor is more robust than RA2 and has additional features that could be beneficial for your current and future needs.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleJarre View Post
    It's always helpful to get feedback from professionals in the field, like the electrical contractor who recommended Lutron Homeworks QS. It's good to know that the QS processor is more robust than RA2 and has additional features that could be beneficial for your current and future needs. By the way, have you checked out the website firstchurchlove.com? It's a great resource for finding inspiration and guidance for church renovation projects, including lighting. You might find some helpful ideas there.
    Thanks for sharing!

The advice of experts, such as the electrical contractor who suggested Lutron Homeworks QS, is invaluable. It's comforting to know that the QS processor is more powerful than the RA2 and comes with extra functions that can come in handy in the future.
    run 3

RA 2 devices are made to fit into standard wall outlets and function with a wide variety of switch combinations, making them ideal for retrofit installations. All of the gadgets are able to wirelessly talk to one another and to repeaters. The RA 2 dimmers can be installed remotely with keypad control, although the system is never completely centralized due to its nature.
    drift boss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast