Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Multiple Thermostats - TouchPro, Nest, Honeywell

Multiple Thermostats - TouchPro, Nest, Honeywell

Hello All,
    I am designing a new RA2 system where we have upwards of 30 thermostats that would be controlling radiant heating and air handler A/C in each zone. Does anyone know the benefits or downfalls of using all Lutron TouchPro thermostats, all Nest and integrate with Connect Bridge or Honeywell Wifi thermostats for a project like this? I am reading that the Connect app has very limited capability with Nest or Honeywell thermostats. Then again the Nest utilizes motion along with their geofencing option which may be better for local zone control. Also how reliable are the wifi thermostats vs the TouchPro using ClearConnect to communicate.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Frank

Consider using the thermostats other than the TouchPRO or HVAC controllers. Those devices count against your total device counts. I have the newer "Lutron" thermostats that connects via TCC from Honeywell. I downloaded the appropriate app to schedule the thermostat. I can change the current set point via the Connect app just fine. I think in this instance, you may want another controller for third party control of the thermostats as groups. Also, if you have this many thermostats, there are obviously many rooms. You should probably consider HomeWorks as a more viable option for this project.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thanks for the feedback Mike. Why would you go Honeywell TCC instead of TouchPro? Those are Honeywell Wifi thermostats using the Total Comfort Control cloud and then interface with Lutron Connect right? They are not actually Lutron thermostats. I understand it would count against the total of 200 max devices but I am not about to get training and certified for HomeWorks to do this project. I am working my way in with a device list and will have a good idea of my device count soon. Don't think I will max out at 170, so I should still have room. Thx

I used the Lutron WIFI thermostat, and it runs off the TCC platform. Just branded Lutron. Had I known this, I would have gone TouchPRO or the HVAC controller. If you go TouchPRO, then you can use the remote sensor (extra part) in place of the return duct sensor to remote the unit. You should be able to add the 30 or so you need. I had one customer using the TouchPRO to control floor heating mats after clearing it with Lutron Tech. The HVAC controller will cost too many parts off the limit to make it all work.

SDR-Mike, I agree the TouchPro seems like the better choice since you can program scenes which include temp setbacks etc. One question for you: I noticed you said you can use the remote sensor with the Touch Pro. Based on the training, I thought those remote sensors are not compatible with the Touch Pro (only the HVAC controller). Did it change recently which would be awesome news.

dougpark464-
    I stand corrected. Too many competing jobs in my head. You would use the HVAC controller for this application with the remote sensor. This eliminates the need for the radio temp sensors. Down side is that there can only be four of the HVAC controllers on a main repeater. Hopefully Frank sees this and can rein in the design before I cause him grief.

Thx for clarifying. Do you know if the Touch Pros are visible through HomeKit?