Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: re-IP a running processor/system

Question re-IP a running processor/system

I have an existing QS system whose processor has an IP address of 10.x.x.x on the client's network. To make life easier to integrate to a third-party control system, I have the IP address entry on the Lutron side defined as DHCP but with a fixed IP address (10.x.x.x); I have a MAC address reservation in the DHCP server so that that Lutron processor always gets the same IP address.

Client wants to re-IP his network to 192.x.x.x; if I go into designer and change the IP address of the processor (along with the MAC address reservation in the DHCP server config) and then upload the changes, will everything "just work"? In other words, do I have to do anything else to have the Lutron processor have a new IP address? My fear is that if something goes awry with the config and/or upload, I will no longer be able to access the processor

thanks

Im a bit confused on why you wouldn't just set the Lutron processors Static in the software outside the DHCP scope. As long as you have the IP addresses set to DHCP in lutron software now when the network changes they will get new addresses. If you have them set static in lutron then I would set them to DHCp right before the switch over then reset static after new network is done.

If you run into an issue ever IP to processor there is a lutron tool to use

If you navigate "Program Files X86/Lutron/Homeworks QS 11.5/Tools Then you would see Device IP Utility. You can connect you laptop to each processor and set the network setting manually not using the QS software. Works great.

Replace Homeworks QS 11.5 with what ever version you are currently running.

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    Im a bit confused on why you wouldn't just set the Lutron processors Static in the software outside the DHCP scope. As long as you have the IP addresses set to DHCP in lutron software now when the network changes they will get new addresses. If you have them set static in lutron then I would set them to DHCp right before the switch over then reset static after new network is done.

If you run into an issue ever IP to processor there is a lutron tool to use

If you navigate "Program Files X86/Lutron/Homeworks QS 11.5/Tools Then you would see Device IP Utility. You can connect you laptop to each processor and set the network setting manually not using the QS software. Works great.

Replace Homeworks QS 11.5 with what ever version you are currently running.
    because I have integrated the Lutron system with a third-party control system via IP and the code in the control system needs a hard-coded IP address to communicate

Is the IP of the lutron set static or DHCP ?

you wrote.

I have an existing QS system whose processor has an IP address of 10.x.x.x on the client's network. To make life easier to integrate to a third-party control system, I have the IP address entry on the Lutron side defined as DHCP but with a fixed IP address (10.x.x.x);

I would think its either DHCP or Static on Lutron side In the Lutron software it can only be one or the other that's where I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    Is the IP of the lutron set static or DHCP ?

you wrote.

I have an existing QS system whose processor has an IP address of 10.x.x.x on the client's network. To make life easier to integrate to a third-party control system, I have the IP address entry on the Lutron side defined as DHCP but with a fixed IP address (10.x.x.x);

I would think its either DHCP or Static on Lutron side In the Lutron software it can only be one or the other that's where I'm confused.
    on the Lutron side, it is set as DHCP *but* I added the MAC address to the DHCP server config to *always* give out the same IP address...so it is DHCP but always gets the same IP address due to a MAC address reservation in the DHCP server config

Okay I get it you have a reservation so via DNS options you can send stuff down dynamically. I understate that but it kinda answers your own question in a way the purpose of the reservation is to manage changes dynamically. So if the network guy changes from a 10 network too a 192 to network and he changes the reservation for the mac to a 192 address then the processors will get the address from the reservation.

my concern/question deals with the cutover; once the client makes the change and I change the IP in Designer to reflect the new address and then perform an upload, will everything "just work" or is there something else I need to do?

I can put the processor on separate network (I typically use an Apple AirPort Express during commissioning when the network has not yet been installed) so I can do the upload while on the 10.x.x.x network while changing to the 192.x.x.x network and once the upload is complete, put it back on the client's network....do you see and issues I might come across doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by jkvossen View Post
    my concern/question deals with the cutover; once the client makes the change and I change the IP in Designer to reflect the new address and then perform an upload, will everything "just work" or is there something else I need to do?

I can put the processor on separate network (I typically use an Apple AirPort Express during commissioning when the network has not yet been installed) so I can do the upload while on the 10.x.x.x network while changing to the 192.x.x.x network and once the upload is complete, put it back on the client's network....do you see and issues I might come across doing that?

Okay Im officially confused. you said.

"my concern/question deals with the cutover; once the client makes the change and I change the IP in Designer to reflect the new address" If the processor is DHCP there is nothing to change

"on the Lutron side, it is set as DHCP *but* I added the MAC address to the DHCP server config to *always* give out the same IP address...so it is DHCP but always gets the same IP address due to a MAC address reservation in the DHCP server config

The statement above tells me the Lutron Designer is set to DHCP as long as when they do the cut over they change the existing reservation from 10.x.x.x to 192.x.x.x everything should be fine Processors will get new ip on 192. network and your pc is on 192 network. Now if the processor are set static then it needs to be handled different