Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Recommend naming conventions

Recommend naming conventions

Can people share their general naming convention when it comes to device names, room names and scene names? What I have works find when I'm interacting with the push-button graphics but when it comes to interacting with voice commands (through Siri, Amazon Echo or Google Home - I happen to have them all for fun) I'm sure there is some naming convention logic that I'm just not aware of. I realized this when I tried to come up with names for my outside lights. I have outside lights at the front of my house, courtyard, backyard and BBQ area. These are all part of the "room" I have named "Outside" but I have named most of the individual lights things like, "Outside front lights". So can people share examples of device names, rooms and scene names and the logic behind them? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by elav1 View Post
    Can people share their general naming convention when it comes to device names, room names and scene names? What I have works find when I'm interacting with the push-button graphics but when it comes to interacting with voice commands (through Siri, Amazon Echo or Google Home - I happen to have them all for fun) I'm sure there is some naming convention logic that I'm just not aware of. I realized this when I tried to come up with names for my outside lights. I have outside lights at the front of my house, courtyard, backyard and BBQ area. These are all part of the "room" I have named "Outside" but I have named most of the individual lights things like, "Outside front lights". So can people share examples of device names, rooms and scene names and the logic behind them? Thanks!
    Generally I keep to single words, mainly because people forget what the trigger words are for a voice command.