Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MSCL-OP153M and TGCL-153PH

MSCL-OP153M and TGCL-153PH

I installed a MSCL-OP153M (motion sensing switch) at the bottom of my basement steps, next to our entryway from the garage. I have installed a TGCL-153PH (mechanical switch) at the top of the steps. I want the motion sensing switch (MSCL-OP153M) to sense when we come in the house and turn our basement lights on. Everything seems to be working correctly except the lights come on twice. Imagine if you will...

1. Lights in basement are currently off. Mechanical switch is "on" (at top of steps).
    2. Door opens, OP153M senses motion, lights turn on.
    3. The LED indicators on the OP153M show the lights powering up by lighting up 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 until 100%.
    4. But then the lights go off.
    5. And the they come on again the same way by lighting up 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 until 100%.
    6. After that, they stay on at 100%.
    7. After 5 min, the lights turn off.
    8. When motion is detected again, same thing happens (starting with step 3).

Can someone help me figure this out please?

Thanks!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp147 View Post
    I installed a MSCL-OP153M (motion sensing switch) at the bottom of my basement steps, next to our entryway from the garage. I have installed a TGCL-153PH (mechanical switch) at the top of the steps. I want the motion sensing switch (MSCL-OP153M) to sense when we come in the house and turn our basement lights on. Everything seems to be working correctly except the lights come on twice. Imagine if you will...

1. Lights in basement are currently off. Mechanical switch is "on" (at top of steps).
    2. Door opens, OP153M senses motion, lights turn on.
    3. The LED indicators on the OP153M show the lights powering up by lighting up 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 until 100%.
    4. But then the lights go off.
    5. And the they come on again the same way by lighting up 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 until 100%.
    6. After that, they stay on at 100%.
    7. After 5 min, the lights turn off.
    8. When motion is detected again, same thing happens (starting with step 3).

Can someone help me figure this out please?

Thanks!
    Hello cjp147. The first concern I have is the TGCL-153PH. That is a toggler style dimmer, and is not designed to work with the MSCL-OP153M dimmer/sensor. The TGCL should be replaced with a standard 3-way switch.

As for the symptoms you are seeing, it sounds like an LED compatibility issue. This is a fairly common issue when LEDs are used with a dimmer. To test this, you can try replacing one of the LEDs with an incandescent bulb to see if the problem continues. If it doesn't, then we know it is directly related to the LEDs being used. In which case we would recommend using our LED compatibility tool at www.lutron.com/ledfinder.