Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4-key Pico Programming for Bedside Use

4-key Pico Programming for Bedside Use

We're in the midst of a remodel and have opted to go w/ a RadioRa2 solution. My contractor was putting in the order and was told that for the "Pj2-4B-GWH-EL2" 4 key Pico control, which is intended to be bedside, we need to pre-select our engraving and can't do it after the fact. Since I'm a complete novice and have never lived w/ smart lighting or a Lutron system I'd welcome suggestions on the 4 scenes/keys that we should consider. Since this is intended to be in place of a physical switch next to the bed I'm thinking of keys that accomplish the following:

1.) Bedroom On
    2.) Bedroom Off
    3.) All House Off
    4.) All House On (presumably a panic-like switch)

Thoughts/suggestions? I'd much rather live w/ it before doing anything permanent, but that apparently isn't an option. I could also just do Scene 1/2/3/4, and after years of use I'm sure I'll remember what it is. Unless something bad is happening while I'm not home guests shouldn't be in my bed so poor labeling shouldn't be a big issue ;-)

Thx and I'm excited to be joining the Lutron community!

Update - as I thought I suspected we have the 4 button for the wife and the 10 button for my side. I'll have the all on / all off on the 10 button, and as such have the ability to be more creative with the 4 button for my wife's side. Still wanting and welcoming thoughts and inputs - thanks!

I have one of the 5 button (On, Off, Preset, Raise, Lower) Pico's on my nightstand with the "nightlight" (the glowing green moon on the preset button). The buttons do the following:

On - Turns on all master bedroom lights to a bright scene
    Off - Turns of all lights in master bedroom *AND* master bath (useful if we don't turn off lights in bath after getting ready for bed, etc)
    Preset - Turns on lights to a very dim scene - useful for reading/etc in bed, getting up in the middle of the night, etc.

So, a few things you might want to consider would be turning off bathroom lights, and some sort of reading in bed scene... All House Off and On would probably be pretty infrequently used, maybe get a two button pico On/Off for the whole house?

Quote Originally Posted by rapamatic View Post
    I have one of the 5 button (On, Off, Preset, Raise, Lower) Pico's on my nightstand with the "nightlight" (the glowing green moon on the preset button). The buttons do the following:

On - Turns on all master bedroom lights to a bright scene
    Off - Turns of all lights in master bedroom *AND* master bath (useful if we don't turn off lights in bath after getting ready for bed, etc)
    Preset - Turns on lights to a very dim scene - useful for reading/etc in bed, getting up in the middle of the night, etc.

So, a few things you might want to consider would be turning off bathroom lights, and some sort of reading in bed scene... All House Off and On would probably be pretty infrequently used, maybe get a two button pico On/Off for the whole house?
    Thanks, Rapamatic. Master + Bathroom is a great idea, as is the morning scene.

My wife was suggesting "Let's get the party started", "Netflix & Chill" and "Honey, I'm Home". Somehow I don't think those will fit on the buttons. Maybe NFLX+Chill ;-)

You could also get a "generic" 4-button Pico and live with it for a few months before ordering the engraved version. I don't know what your installer would charge to add an engraved remote after the fact, but the remotes themselves are inexpensive and you can experiment with scene changes using the app on your phone (assuming your system will work with the app).
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gt3mike View Post
    You could also get a "generic" 4-button Pico and live with it for a few months before ordering the engraved version. I don't know what your installer would charge to add an engraved remote after the fact, but the remotes themselves are inexpensive and you can experiment with scene changes using the app on your phone (assuming your system will work with the app).
    Mike
    Generic 4 button scene Pico (3 Scene and Off) runs $40 list. My wife runs one for Maestro Wireless (RA2 hasn't made it to the MBR yet) and understands it perfectly. Set it up as Hi-Med-Low-Off and you might find the engraving isn't necessary except on the iPhone. I have a friend that can engrave those, but the word Lutron gets in the way partially. We might re-space it to more center the engraving.
    Last edited by SDR-Mike; 10-25-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: darn double posting again...
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Engraved versions come from the factory all in one, unlike a keypad. You can update programming after the fact, so you only need to get the names right. The only issue with this in a bedroom is that it's not very tactile in the middle of the night.