Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RR2 for controlling landscape lighting

RR2 for controlling landscape lighting

Can I use a dimmer like RRD-10ND to control a receptacle, which a landscape transformer box plugs into, such as these units:

http://www.voltlighting.com/landscap...nsformers/c/21

Then, just dim the landscape lights by dimming the 10ND device?

If this is not the way to do it, what is the best practice for integrating landscape lights into RR2?

Many thanks!

A majority of municipalities do not allow for dimming of a standard "convenience" outlet. You would need to replace the receptacle and cord end to maintain code. You can hard wire the RRD-10ND-WH directly to the transformer, however.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I see. Makes sense. Thanks!

The inline appliance module RR-15APS is worth considering for this.
    http://www.lutron.com/en-US/products...w.aspx?pgid=41

Otherwise using a 8ANS switch it probably a better choice, to avoid potential problems with dimming a device that doesn't tolerate being dimmed. I use one for some outdoor holiday lighting outlets. Most are well out of typical reach, to avoid someone plugging a tools or yard equipment into them. But the one that is close in in a single gang box where one of the outlets is live and the switched on is painted BRIGHT RED. Helps as a reminded of which is controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    The inline appliance module RR-15APS is worth considering for this.
    http://www.lutron.com/en-US/products...w.aspx?pgid=41
    I agree for non-dimmed lighting. But people often assume this is outdoor rated- it is not. They also like to stuff it inside the transformer, like they would with the standard plug in timers that those transformers use. This often severely limits or eliminates the radio communication and results in unhappy customers (Faraday Cage, essentially). Hence why I always use a outdoor box with plastic in-use or flip cover to cover the dimmer or switch.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    I agree for non-dimmed lighting. But people often assume this is outdoor rated- it is not. They also like to stuff it inside the transformer, like they would with the standard plug in timers that those transformers use. This often severely limits or eliminates the radio communication and results in unhappy customers (Faraday Cage, essentially). Hence why I always use a outdoor box with plastic in-use or flip cover to cover the dimmer or switch.
    Yep, there's lots of different issues to consider. With older homes there's greater potential for signal-blocking RF problems and using metal boxes would definitely pose problems. That and outdoor weather conditions may pose problems with indoor-rated devices. Just because it's in a box doesn't mean it won't have potential condensation/humidity problems.

our area allows it as long as receptacle is a single receptacle and labelled as such