Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Automate 3 Caseta Switches to come on at sunset and off and 11pm

Automate 3 Caseta Switches to come on at sunset and off and 11pm

Hello,
    I'm in the process of deciding on direction of home automation smart controls.
    Currently have nothing. Have 3 switches that currently control outdoor can lights around the house.

If I go with the Caseta Switches, I am assuming I will need a Caseta Smart Bridge.

Can I set these 3 swtiches to come on at sunset and off at 11pm?

If so, where does this code run? The Bridge? The Switches themselves? Or somewhere on the internet with my account?

Will this work without Internet Connection?

Ive started with this application but of course thinking of lots of things to add so trying to decide what system to go with.
    Ive looked at Leviton WiFi Switches which seem to do without a bridge but I prefer the sleeker options with Lutron and its remotes, Sonos, etc

I've got some distance issues also, but I think reading some of the other post have my answers. Hoping the ~30ft limit is a bit further like some said in their posts. Definitely going to need a lamp extender to hopefully cover everything.

Lutron Technical Support
    To answer your questions:
    - Yes, you need the Caseta bridge to accomplish the things you are asking to do.

-Yes. You would have to create 2 different Scheduled Scenes in the Caseta app. OPne to turn the lights on at Sunset, and the second one to turn the lights off at 11PM.

- The programming is done through the app, and resides on the bridge.

- An internet connection is required for setup.

- All of the devices must be within 30ft of the Caseta bridge. The RF range can be extended an additional 30ft once, by adding a PD-3PCL-WH plug-in dimmer within 30ft of the bridge. You don't have to have a load plugged in to this device for it to work. While you can have multiple PD-3PCL-WH in the system, only the first one added to the system will act as an RF range extender.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    To answer your questions:
    - Yes, you need the Caseta bridge to accomplish the things you are asking to do.

-Yes. You would have to create 2 different Scheduled Scenes in the Caseta app. OPne to turn the lights on at Sunset, and the second one to turn the lights off at 11PM.

- The programming is done through the app, and resides on the bridge.

- An internet connection is required for setup.

- All of the devices must be within 30ft of the Caseta bridge. The RF range can be extended an additional 30ft once, by adding a PD-3PCL-WH plug-in dimmer within 30ft of the bridge. You don't have to have a load plugged in to this device for it to work. While you can have multiple PD-3PCL-WH in the system, only the first one added to the system will act as an RF range extender.
    Thanks for the info Brian. Set up three Levitons this weekend that don't require a bridge, they use WiFi. Worked great. I have some far locations that I will continue to use these, but I think the Lutron Caseta Series look better and the ability to have a remote is nice. So ill start moving into the Lutron Switches, Appliance/Light Modules and a Bridge soon. I guess then I am going to need SmartThings or something so I can have overall control on the two different systems, LOL

I just did this with my wink hub, my neighbors seemingly always turn on their lights over the garage and front door at dusk and leave them on until dawn, I am way too lazy to walk all over and turn them on so I got some caseta dimmers and created a robot to turn them on at dusk and off at midnight

How are you liking the Caseta Switches with the Wink Hub? I haven't got one yet but probably will in the future. Ive got two Caseta Smart Bridges currently. As I move to other devices like locks, etc I think I might try Wink.

Any pros/cons you have found when using Wink with the Lutron Caseta? When you set up Wink to work with them can you still have Lutron Schedules running or does the Wink control/override?

Also does it look like you could set up multiple Bridges to work with the Wink?