Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with 2-way switch install of PD-6WCL - lights on but dim, no response

Help with 2-way switch install of PD-6WCL - lights on but dim, no response

I have a three way switch that is working fine, with a mix of three traditional bulbs were and 2 flush ceiling mounted single unit LEDs. I tried to install a Caseta wireless dimmer on a two way switch with four flush ceiling mounted, single unit LEDs.

I connected the wires correctly. When I turn the power back on all four lights are lit at a low level dim setting, I would guess about 25%. The switch does not respond, and cannot be programmed it won't turn the lights on or off. The traditional toggle switch works just fine.

Does this have something to do with low wattage overall of the 4-leds- does it mean i need a minimum load ( though I am not sure what that really means). Bulbs are compatible based on the website.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Most likely you did not wire the switch correctly. Double and triple check your wiring with the instructions.

I'm pretty sure I did, I took it apart twice and made sure that the wiring matched the single switch diagram each time. Home is new construction and contains a ground wire.

Brad, try replacing one bulb with an older incandescent bulb that has required more wattage. I'm just learning about the caseta myself, but it does sound like a min load problem. I had a light fixture with 6 bulbs. It only pulled 2W/bulb for a total of 12 and had the same issue as you. Putting an older bulb back in made everything work as expected. Now I just have to figure out how to offset the minimum load requirements or get some less efficient led bulbs

thank you - thought the thread was dead. Since there are 4 identical ceiling LEDs mounted I've given up on trying to make it work, since I don't want one mismatched light. I bet your suggestion would work exactly though.... ;-(

Quote Originally Posted by Teb1934 View Post
    Brad, try replacing one bulb with an older incandescent bulb that has required more wattage. I'm just learning about the caseta myself, but it does sound like a min load problem. I had a light fixture with 6 bulbs. It only pulled 2W/bulb for a total of 12 and had the same issue as you. Putting an older bulb back in made everything work as expected. Now I just have to figure out how to offset the minimum load requirements or get some less efficient led bulbs