Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lutron Homeworks Series 8 Processor Replacement

Lutron Homeworks Series 8 Processor Replacement

My boss and I (IT/security/anything we're told needs getting done) have had to go look at the owner of our company's personal house and he has a Lutron Homeworks Series 8 system installed throughout his house. Well the system seems to be geeking out and the guy who usually works on the house is telling the groundskeeper that you can't buy a replacement processor because it's a legacy and getting it from anyone else would have their programming left on it, blah blah blah. I feel like that's probably malarcky. Is it possible to get a replacement and install it ourselves?

TL;DR: So how bad of an idea would it be to purchase a replacement processor online and replace it myself?

How do you know the processor is the issue ? Better to explain whats going on before jumping into new processor.

3. Thanks Blair S. thanked for this post
    Likes Blair S. liked this post
    Hello thekrazykaveman,
    Thank you for your post.
    The best option would be to contact a Homeworks professional. You can find one here www.lutron.com/wheretobuy
    You may be able to purchase a replacement processor through a 3rd party but that may not be the root cause. The system may have warranty left on it too. Plus you would need a Homeworks professional to load up the programming to the new processor.
    If you would like to tackle this yourself then I can assist going forward. Send an email to hwsupport@lutron.com with a description of the issue and we can take it from there.

What if I just admitted defeat and got certified myself as the choices of certified technicians in the area is limited? Would I get any training on the legacy systems?

6. Thanks evankirkhart thanked for this post
    The current certification wouldn't provide much help in terms of knowing the older system. There may be some other paths we can take to get you where you need to be. Send me an email to hwsupport@lutron.com and we can review what is the best course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by thekrazykaveman View Post
    What if I just admitted defeat and got certified myself as the choices of certified technicians in the area is limited? Would I get any training on the legacy systems?

Where are you located ?
    What processor ?
    Whats the issue ?

Many here can I help to get you in the right direction. I have helped many with remote programing or supplied legacy. parts. As i stated need more info.

Lutron may have a processor on-hand. They were expensive to begin with and are now more so. They may even build one for you.

The Lutron software wipes the existing program before uploading so that will not be an issue if you find a used processor.

The more critical issue is getting a copy of your database. There should be a backup copy of the database on your processor that can be extracted. There is chance that the backup database is corrupted. Tech support can sometimes repair the database. I have also been able to hack the database and get major portions of the information out. The program would still have to be re-written.