Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Manual programming has 'switch' mode and IR en/disable, but not in software?

Manual programming has 'switch' mode and IR en/disable, but not in software?

I noticed in technote #247 (pg5) it states a dimmer can be set in dimmer (default) or switch mode. Yet there's no equivalent in the Inclusive software.

Likewise, there's an option to en/disable the IR functionality which is also not available in the Inclusive software.

I've no immediate need for those options, but I'm curious as to why they're not available in the PC programming software.

And just what would the dimmer/switch mode toggle do to the low/high trim levels? Would one in switch mode also then ignore the front raise/lower buttons? Or instructions from a keypad or app that tried using them?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    We apologize for the confusion but the ability to change the dimmer to a switch is only in reference to the RRD-3PD and the RRD-3LD. In the RadioRA2 software you do have the ability to change the load types on the RRD-3PD and the RRD-3LD from a dimmed load to a non-dimmed load. When these devices are in switching mode the raise arrow will turn the light on and the lower arrow will turn the light off.

We would also like to thank you for your suggestion on adding the ability to disable the IR input on the keypad when using the software to program the system.

Hmm, it's odd the tech note shows using a tapswitch in it's picture, along with the side LEDs when referencing the dimmer/switch toggle, and no mention at all is made of the 3PD or 3LD. So then the note's outright wrong? And thus NONE of the wall-installable dimmers support this mode; in neither manual nor pc-programmed modes?

I ask because with the advent of issues with LEDs and dimmers I could see situations where forcing a dimmer to act only as a switch could be a very useful option.

Glad to offer the IR toggle as a suggestion. What, with all the ways these gizmos can be programmed, I'd imagine it's no small challenge to keep the software completely set up for it.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    You are correct in that none of the wall dimmers can be converted to be a switch. We are working on updating the application note to avoid further confusion.