Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: L shaped room

L shaped room

Spoke with Technical Support and now have a follow up question (trying to understand their recommendation).

I have a small L-shaped laundry room. One door goes to the garage, the other the house. There is no switch at the garage side so I'm walking into a dark room. Unfortunately the switch that is there is on the L and has no line of sight to the garage door.

I was thinking of the Maestro switch and knowing it won't be able to detect movement at the garage door, the companion wall sensor. I thought they could communicate by RF.

I was told I'd need the ceiling (as opposed to wall) mounted (lrf2-ocr2b-p-wh) sensor to work with the wall switch (mrf2-6ans) AND that I'd also need a ma-as. It's the last one that has me confused.

If the switch and the ceiling sensor work via RF why do I need the third device? And if I do is it a wired product, as in will need to be attached to the current wiring?

Thanks, hope I've been clear.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    I would recommend replacing the switch near the entrance to the house with a Maestro Wireless switch, and placing a ceiling-mount wireless occupancy sensor on the ceiling in the middle of the room for auto on/off lighting control. Putting the sensor on the ceiling as opposed to the wall allows for proper coverage such that the sensor will automatically turn the light on from either entrance. If you install a wall sensor near the garage, entering the room from the house will not automatically turn the lights on for you as the wall sensor will not initially see you, thus the ceiling mount version would be a better solution. As for the accessory switch (MA-AS) it does not sound like that is needed near the garage since it sounds like you currently do not have a hardwired switch in that location. If you are looking for an additional point of control from the garage entry location, and you do not currently have wires run to that location, you could use a wireless Pico control that communicates back to the Maestro Wireless switch via RF.